everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

beautiful HDR motion capture video

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-18-2011, 06:39 PM
if you can watch this in HD with fullscreen, DO IT!!!

his work is amazing. here's an older vid:

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Thumbs Up RE: beautiful HDR motion capture video
You mean time-lapse, not motion capture. I thought it was going to be CGI from a new game or movie or something as you said motion capture, lol! But yeah, it looks amazing! Big Grin A lot of it reminded me of Red Dead Redemption, lol! Obviously they took loads of photos and videos of the same places and modelled the game world on them most likely using photo textures. Imagine a sequel on the next-gen Xbox with close to that image quality?Exclamation
10-18-2011, 09:54 PM
RE: beautiful HDR motion capture video
PC's can do photo textures, so I'm assuming next gen would have to, have you guys seen the GTA4 PC mods, this is current, you can run on a PC with a higher end graphics card. Check these out:

This is partly why I wasn't impressed by Forza 4 like everyone else is. If anything, Forza 3 should of had the graphics 4 has, its either taken them this long to replicate realistic graphics or they didn't want to yet set a standard, what else are they holding out on?

[Image: TheZeeMan.png]
10-18-2011, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 11:10 PM by Corellianrogue.)
Information RE: beautiful HDR motion capture video
High-end PCs with high-end graphics cards are far more powerful than the Xbox 360 though. When the next-gen Xbox comes out it'll probably be the most powerful again (at least games' graphics wise) for at least 6 months like the Xbox 360 was when it came out. Games already use photo textures and have done for years, they just obviously look even better on more powerful hardware. Epecially with a lot of RAM since that's where the textures are stored after loading from the disc. That's why Blu-Ray doesn't really help the PS3's graphics all that much since it doesn't matter how much space there is on the disc, it's still only got 256MB video RAM which is the most graphics it can display at a time. (Per frame I think? Edit: Actually I think it's per load, as in between each time there's a loading screen or you see "loading" on screen. I was thinking of rendering per frame before I think, like how much the CPU & GPU can render per frame.) The Xbox 360 theoretically has more video RAM because unlike the PS3 the Xbox 360 has 512MB unified RAM so developers can use more than 256MB of it for graphics if they want. The PS3 has 512MB too but it's split into 2 256MB with 1 of them being video RAM.
10-18-2011, 11:12 PM (This post was last modified: 10-18-2011 11:18 PM by dirtyvu.)
(10-18-2011 09:14 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  You mean time-lapse, not motion capture.

LOL. I must have had video games on my mind... Big Grin
(10-18-2011 11:07 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  Epecially with a lot of RAM since that's where the textures are stored after loading from the disc. That's why Blu-Ray doesn't really help the PS3's graphics all that much since it doesn't matter how much space there is on the disc, it's still only got 256MB video RAM which is the most graphics it can display at a time.

yeah, that's why the pop-in for texture data is so bad in Rage for the PS3. the slow bluray.

as for Forza 4, it's a 60 fps racer that never drops frames and has vsync always on. that alone is very impressive. and to do that with twice as many cars on the road and the much improved lighting model. amazing.

I will take a 60 fps racer over any 30 fps racer any day of the week. It's not just about how a game looks. it's about how it controls and 60 fps allows for more precise input since you have more intervals for new input.

10-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Thumbs Up RE: beautiful HDR motion capture video
(10-18-2011 11:12 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  
(10-18-2011 09:14 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  You mean time-lapse, not motion capture.

LOL. I must have had video games on my mind... Big Grin
(10-18-2011 11:07 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  Epecially with a lot of RAM since that's where the textures are stored after loading from the disc. That's why Blu-Ray doesn't really help the PS3's graphics all that much since it doesn't matter how much space there is on the disc, it's still only got 256MB video RAM which is the most graphics it can display at a time.

yeah, that's why the pop-in for texture data is so bad in Rage for the PS3. the slow bluray.

as for Forza 4, it's a 60 fps racer that never drops frames and has vsync always on. that alone is very impressive. and to do that with twice as many cars on the road and the much improved lighting model. amazing.

I will take a 60 fps racer over any 30 fps racer any day of the week. It's not just about how a game looks. it's about how it controls and 60 fps allows for more precise input since you have more intervals for new input.

Yeah, I wish more developers tried to get 60fps. I know Sega often tried on their consoles when they could. That's why a lot of Dreamcast games look so slick and played so well even if they have very dated graphics compared to now. Also that's what some Sony fans don't seem to realise while going on about Kinect having lag. Not only don't they realise that most Kinect games actually have about the same amount of lag as 30fps joypad games but also that there are quite a few multiplatform (joypad) games on the PS3 that have worse framerate problems than the Xbox 360 versions which therefore means they have more input lag!
10-18-2011, 11:29 PM
Aren't all of the xbox games 60fps, even Kinect ones? The last time I could tell a difference was when I think Madden 08 was the first one to use 60fps...after that, it became natural Tongue

[Image: TheZeeMan.png]
10-18-2011, 11:56 PM
(10-18-2011 11:29 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Aren't all of the xbox games 60fps, even Kinect ones? The last time I could tell a difference was when I think Madden 08 was the first one to use 60fps...after that, it became natural Tongue

No, surprisingly a lot of games still aren't. There are a lot of Xbox 360 games that are very smooth 30fps though and some use motion blur very well. If you compare a 60fps game with a 30fps game side by side or one after the other you should be able to notice the difference. The Call Of Duty games run at 60fps whereas I'm pretty sure Halo Reach doesn't, so you can compare those for instance. I don't know if any Kinect games are 60fps actually (other than Forza 4 obviously) because the problem with making a Kinect game 60fps is that Kinect is limited to capturing in 30fps so you might notice the control lag more. Although having said that a lot of games like Kinect Adventures and Kinect Sports are very smooth so maybe they are 60fps, I'll have to check them again.
10-19-2011, 01:28 AM
(10-18-2011 11:29 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Aren't all of the xbox games 60fps, even Kinect ones? The last time I could tell a difference was when I think Madden 08 was the first one to use 60fps...after that, it became natural Tongue

very few games do 60 fps. it takes a lot of horsepower and most game makers prefer prettier graphics at 30 fps than uglier graphics at 60 fps.

for graphics, 60 fps is not only faster graphics but also much smoother animations. it also allows more intervals to receive input. Forza 2 bragged that it could poll the controls 360 times per minute because it was a 60 fps game.

a 60 fps shooter means the input lag is below 100 ms. the best 30 fps games have an input lag of 120+. look at the horrible lag of Killzone 2 which is a 30 fps shooter which has an input lag of 180 ms (Kinect Sports 1 has an input lag of 150 ms, by the way).

some notable 60 fps games include Modern Warfare 1 and 2. Burnout games like Revenge and Paradise.

this is the one selling point that Activision is using against EA (that MW3 is a 60 fps shooter while BF3 is only 30 fps).

in the old days of the arcade, game makers had to make a lot of sacrifices to bring their games to the console because they didn't want to sacrifice 60 fps. that was the difference between arcade versions and home versions. check out Daytona at the arcade and the home port. they had to seriously dial back the graphics to keep 60 fps.

I remember reading that the original specs for the Kinect was polling at 60 Hz while the final version polled at 30 Hz. This would've cut down on the lag for the Kinect.

10-19-2011, 01:53 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2011 01:56 AM by Corellianrogue.)
Actually you got Daytona backwards. The graphics on the Saturn version were very close to the arcade but they had to drop the framerate to around 20-30fps (fluctuated depending on how much was on screen) and the resolution to 320x240 to get the graphics so good for the time. (It was a very early Saturn game.) It also had more pop-up and obviously no texture filtering. It was Virtua Fighter 2 that was the Saturn's first 60fps Model 2 arcade conversion, it also ran at the Saturn's full high resolution mode 720x480. (Or 702x480, I've forgotten. It might have also been 720/702x576 on PAL, I'm not sure though.) I played an early demo of that which had shading like the arcade but it wasn't as responsive so they must have removed the shading in the final version to get rid of the lag. Fighters Megamix had shading but I'm pretty sure that was 640x480 and that was obviously later in the Saturn's life.
10-19-2011, 02:05 AM
(10-19-2011 01:53 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  Actually you got Daytona backwards. The graphics on the Saturn version were very close to the arcade but they had to drop the framerate to around 20-30fps (fluctuated depending on how much was on screen) and the resolution to 320x240 to get the graphics so good for the time. (It was a very early Saturn game.) It also had more pop-up and obviously no texture filtering. It was Virtua Fighter 2 that was the Saturn's first 60fps Model 2 arcade conversion, it also ran at the Saturn's full high resolution mode 720x480. (Or 702x480, I've forgotten. It might have also been 720/702x576 on PAL, I'm not sure though.) I played an early demo of that which had shading like the arcade but it wasn't as responsive so they must have removed the shading in the final version to get rid of the lag. Fighters Megamix had shading but I'm pretty sure that was 640x480 and that was obviously later in the Saturn's life.

the original Daytona game was a 60 fps racer. the reason they dropped the framerate of the Saturn version of the game was Sega was under a lot of pressure to match the graphics of the Playstation. so they sacrificed the framerate to try to keep it looking good.

10-19-2011, 02:18 AM
(10-19-2011 02:05 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  
(10-19-2011 01:53 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  Actually you got Daytona backwards. The graphics on the Saturn version were very close to the arcade but they had to drop the framerate to around 20-30fps (fluctuated depending on how much was on screen) and the resolution to 320x240 to get the graphics so good for the time. (It was a very early Saturn game.) It also had more pop-up and obviously no texture filtering. It was Virtua Fighter 2 that was the Saturn's first 60fps Model 2 arcade conversion, it also ran at the Saturn's full high resolution mode 720x480. (Or 702x480, I've forgotten. It might have also been 720/702x576 on PAL, I'm not sure though.) I played an early demo of that which had shading like the arcade but it wasn't as responsive so they must have removed the shading in the final version to get rid of the lag. Fighters Megamix had shading but I'm pretty sure that was 640x480 and that was obviously later in the Saturn's life.

the original Daytona game was a 60 fps racer. the reason they dropped the framerate of the Saturn version of the game was Sega was under a lot of pressure to match the graphics of the Playstation. so they sacrificed the framerate to try to keep it looking good.

I know, but in your previous post you said they dropped the graphics down on the Saturn version to keep it 60fps when it was actually the other way around and they dropped the framerate (and resolution and a few hundred or possibly thousand polygons) instead.