everything KINECT in one place!

/ / / /

fun labs in new dashboard

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Yeah, Microsoft messed up here. I actually had to follow someone's suggestion and use bing search to get to fun labs. It doesn't show up under your games when you filter by all or when you filter by Kinect games.

If you don't use bing search to go to kinect fun labs, you can select the Kinect Fun Labs ad, it will bring up the games page for Kinect Fun Labs and then you can play it or download it again. At first I thought it was a game update issue as I hadn't played it in awhile and it did prompt me to download the update for Fun Labs, but after loading the program and then quitting out, it's still not showing up under the games or under the quick play history.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2011, 03:58 PM
RE: fun labs in new dashboard
(12-08-2011 11:41 PM)dirtyvu Wrote:  Yeah, Microsoft messed up here. I actually had to follow someone's suggestion and use bing search to get to fun labs. It doesn't show up under your games when you filter by all or when you filter by Kinect games.

If you don't use bing search to go to kinect fun labs, you can select the Kinect Fun Labs ad, it will bring up the games page for Kinect Fun Labs and then you can play it or download it again. At first I thought it was a game update issue as I hadn't played it in awhile and it did prompt me to download the update for Fun Labs, but after loading the program and then quitting out, it's still not showing up under the games or under the quick play history.

I agree, very odd. I looked everywhere before having to go into the marketplace and select play now.
01-02-2012, 01:30 PM
hi,
I've been having this problem. Maybe someone can help me. I dled fun labs, but it doesn't show up anywhere! I connect with a 3g dongle, so its impractical for me to get online every time i want to access this. Is there a way to OPEN fun labs without connecting to xbl? I spoke to a tech and he couldn't help me.

Am i correct in assuming this is a bug?

Now a little about myself since i'm new to the forum (and new to the xbox scene). I'm 27 year old mom to 3 young ones. Located in switzerland. We bought an xbox for very casual gaming and exercise. The fun labs looks perfect for my 4 year old daughter, and i'm pissed i spent 3 hours downloading it last night when its impossible to launch!
01-02-2012, 06:59 PM
think i went via the ad too. Will have a check, thats if i can get my 77yo gran off it!
01-03-2012, 12:31 AM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2012 12:36 AM by ScoobyWRX555.)
That didn't work this time.
What works now is go to the TV menu tab and down to the Kinect Games tab (not Kinect Sports ad on the Home tab)
This will bring up the kinect page. In the bottom right is Fun Labs 'creative fun'. Selecting this will load Fun labs. (it wanted to download an update for me)

Whether this is the correct way or the kinect games tab will remain in this location I don't know.
01-03-2012, 10:53 AM
sorry, what tv menu tab? All i have is: home, social, video, games, apps, settings.
Its not listed in any of them. I know i have it because it shows up on my harddrive. This is so frustrating...
01-03-2012, 05:51 PM
ah ok that could be one of the ones that require the internet (LIVE). Doesn't seem right to have to connect to the internet to play them though. I couldn't see any other way, not even going to the hard drive file listing and finding fun labs there. Will try again while offline so I get the same options as you.
01-03-2012, 06:55 PM
does the bing search work without the internet? yeah, it's a PITA if Kinect Fun Labs now requires an Internet connection.

01-04-2012, 08:41 AM
thanks for checking. Right, bing only shows up when i connect to live. The games show up on the harddrive, but won't open from there.
I can only conclude that this was a mistake. I cannot imagine microsoft created a program that does not launch on its own.
Where can i report the bug? The tech i spoke to on the phone was even more clueless than me, so calling wouldn't do it. He just offered to refund my money because it hadn't stated in the details that a connection is required to play. That's pointless since the game is free.

I am also suprised i seem to be the only one with this problem. I suppose those that download it, are online, and the ones who are offline wouldn't download it. Maybe when the change the funlabs ad, more people will realize there is a launch problem and start reporting it.

I appreciate your help, thanks.
01-04-2012, 10:02 AM
yeah, that's a major mistake in the new dash regarding Kinect Fun Labs.

guess we can try the support page:
http://support.xbox.com/en-US/contact-us?xr=footnav#5:5

01-04-2012, 11:20 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2012 11:51 AM by ScoobyWRX555.)
Tried it last night, I didn't sign into the live account and found no way of starting it, it just said to join Live. once they release a new app or make the current 240msp ones free then everyone will realise this error and so might MS.

edit: Had a chat with them.

Kinect Fun Labs is an Xbox Live application by design and a hub for sub-applications so without LIVE it won't work.

If it works like the new media apps then it kinda makes sence though silly for kids games to be forced online, wonder how it works with the family settings?
01-04-2012, 10:18 PM
ok, so its reassuring to me that at least microsoft did this on purpose and it wasn't a random mistake.
Although,
1. They should have warned before downloading
2. Really the program is on my console in FULL. It is incredibly selfish on their part to not let me access a program that is already ON MY CONSOLE. (!!!)
3. Not all the programs are for xbl. Like all other programs they should have an option to play offline. I don't know why googly eyes, or air band for example should be any more intended for xbl than offline play. They are just stupid little apps.

Methinks ms is just getting greedy and looking for more incentive to get users to sign up for xbl.
01-04-2012, 10:38 PM
(01-04-2012 10:18 PM)greentiger Wrote:  ok, so its reassuring to me that at least microsoft did this on purpose and it wasn't a random mistake.

Methinks ms is just getting greedy and looking for more incentive to get users to sign up for xbl.

Xbox Live is free for anyone to sign up. there is no reason not to have at least Xbox Live Free.

You don't need Xbox Live Gold to use Kinect Fun Labs.

I think the guy is wrong. It's a mess-up with the new dash in how it represents Kinect Fun Labs. I'm pretty sure in the old dash, you didn't need to be connected to the Internet to use it (though we can no longer confirm that).

01-05-2012, 12:09 PM
yeah i wasn't convinced of that and of course we all can't quite remember for sure whether the old dash allowed offline. The only thing i remember is that with the known issue of the last app and the main hub locking up which required a full redownload to run did only work online and this coincided with my internet dumping so i couldnt play it but i could normal xbla games.
so maybe it is now online only. If this is the case then they really need to change it as so far they are all for very young kids and though not a parent im certain having to use an online account only isnt the best idea.
01-13-2012, 08:46 PM
It can now be got by going to -

Game tab / Game Marketplace / Fun Labs

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  free Mars Rover Landing Kinect Fun Labs app dirtyvu 1 281 07-19-2012 03:58 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Fun Labs ERROR Kenderkin 2 886 02-23-2012 04:55 AM
  Xbox Fun Labs ewo1992 31 9,185 11-14-2011 01:49 AM
Information Music In Motion (Kinect Fun Labs) Corellianrogue 1 2,240 06-19-2011 01:34 PM
Last Post: Tomface