everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

kinect=wasted potential?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
kinect=wasted potential?
09-12-2011, 05:05 PM
kinect=wasted potential?
wow, I just got a kinect. I thought it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread but instead of raving about how cool it is(and sometimes it is) I can't help but be thinking about hwo much better it COULD be.
What works-anything that has you moving your arms, legs, jumping or ducking works as expected. this makes for a good fitness experience and dance/mimic games. I would think this would be perfect for boxing.martial arts type games and instruction but nothing solid had materialized for some reason. I can't imagine what they are waiting for. I figured a hardcore boxing game(not avatars or wiibles) would be a killer app for this. I read that uncaged fighters was junk but haven't tried it. it shouldn't have been though as it seems kinect was made for this type of thing. I could really see this for martial arts/boxing/kickboxing training also. I'm an adult and I just can't get sold on the cutesey stuff. avatars are better than wiibles, but not by much. boxing seems to be a no-brainer here, a full blown game not mini games. I want realistic graphics and dynamic injuries. if my opponents eye is noticeably swelling I want to concentrate on that eye. yourself fitness worked well. the dance games were great even though I hate dancing, lol. adventures was cool and original. Kinect sports was ok but again avatars...
what could be better-well after trying the driving game, you NEED a wheel of some kind. my hands kept drifting apart and I kept leaning too much. without a physical wheel to center me and keep my hands in sync the game was not playable for me. just a shell would b fine, but i'm sure they could put some type or markings or even lights on it that would make it;s position more readable by kinect. this is a must for me or no driving game on kinect. there is no reason why i couldn't change gears and brake and accelerate as kinect can read my foot position fine(proved by the dance games and the fix-the-leaks game)
shooting-well no matter what I will not be holding my hand in the shape of a gun, throwing my hand in the air(and muttering "pow-pow") like a 5 year old. that is just downright silly and I'm surprised MS would even expect anyone, even kids(who nowadays are "older" than when I was a "kid") to do that. there is no reason there can't be a gun accessory. kinect could read the position of the gun, and the trigger could be functional using the wireless control scheme. reloading and racking the slide could be functional(that would be really cool) or pantomimed. this would work. I have the house of the dead with the silent scope gun for original xbox. while the gun didn't work well for SS, HOTD played great and racking that shotgun and blowing the crap out of zombies is still satisfying to this day. something like that could really work with kinect.
Shooters-well there are different ways to go with this but again a gun is needed. I don't see why walking in place or even running can't be an option but either way, give me a gun.
The fact is kinect NEEDS accessories for some things. this idea that YOU are the controller is fine for some things but not at all for others. I hope MS realizes this and either implements it or allows third parties to do so and soon. I mean everyone is looking forward to kinect star wars. OK but does anyone really want to just wave their arm? I don't care how old you are, you want a light sabre in your hand because it would just be cool to be a bad-ass effing jedi!. Yes of course you can go and buy a toy one and just hold it. but it would be better if there was one made for the game. again it could have some ability to be tracked better and maybe some buttons for stuff that just works better with buttons(how about turning the sabre on and off?) On top of that MS could make bank on accessories. wouldn't EVERYONE buy a kinect light sabre? I don't know about you guys but I will not be getting the new ghost recon. that game could have been killer but from the trailer it just looks silly. opening and closing your hands to fire? MS just needs to admit the kinect NEEDS some accessories and stop being pig-headed to allow the device to be used to its full potential.
What's really funny is the games that would work great without any accessory are nowhere to be found;
boxing/martial arts/instruction and play
fantasy type of game where player would use swords and spells(I can't believe this had not be done yet)
games where player used only hand weapons
games where player has telekinetic powers
superhero games like x-men.
imagine cutting down enemies as wolverine, using you visor to blast them as cyclops, summoning lightning as storm, flinging cars as magneto, etc.-again this seems like a no-brainer.
dogs-ok kinectimals is cute but skews toward a younger audience. what about regular pets? I'm a dog lover and would likely mess around with something like that for dogs. I could see cats working too.
games where you play as something other than a person(alien or some type of creature where guns and such would not be your primary offense)
gladiator type games
OK, you get the idea. so the kinect had been out for almost a year and the games are just not that good(with a few exceptions). I'm afraid MS will not admit to needing some type of controller for some games to avoid the inevitable "wii ripoff" or "they copied PS move" slurs. well damn that, MS owes it to its customers to give them the best gaming experience and without some type of accessories that will simply not happen. Time for MS to eat a slice of humble pie and not allow this cool device to be crippled by pride. I know this is a LONG post so thanks for reading and I would really like to hear what other gamers think about the points I have made and of the kinect in general.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-24-2011, 11:06 PM
RE: kinect=wasted potential?
There's some good points in here xD. I must say, I half-heartedly agree with the whole accessories thing. While it's a great concept not to have them, they MAY be needed - but devs have some crazy ideas to get around that. As for driving games, there is a 'Kinect-compatible' wheel coming out soon, so I guess Microsoft are heading in the right direction, somewhat. However, accessories could be expensive - like the Kinect light saber. A half-decent one would honestly add £20-£30 to the game's price (because thats Microsoft for you), and most Kinect games go for around £30 nowadays. And paying £60 for a game with a piece of plastic to wave around isn't something I can see myself doing xD.

However, I do feel the pain too, a lot of the games that have been launched were there to attract new audiences (families) to the Xbox. I'm sure that we'll get our turn with avatarless core games sometime soon

Get Kinected!
Im on Playfire:
[Image: default.png]
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
09-25-2011, 04:29 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2011 04:30 AM by TheZeeMan.)
I know this isn't the best answer, but I've been reading all over the place thanks to Core TongueThere seems to be a second Kinect in development, and I have a feeling that this current launch of games this holiday season are just to pacify us until K2 (we'll call it) is released. The ONLY game that is slated for release that's Kinect Required is Kinect Star Wars, but that's a TBD, they could be waiting on K2, so I think after K2 is released, we are going to start seeing some really sweet games and enough of this kiddie stuff, but you know how MS is, to have the best, you gotta keep spending $ Big Grin

[Image: thezeeman.png]
09-25-2011, 07:07 AM
Information RE: kinect=wasted potential?
(09-25-2011 04:29 AM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  I know this isn't the best answer, but I've been reading all over the place thanks to Core TongueThere seems to be a second Kinect in development, and I have a feeling that this current launch of games this holiday season are just to pacify us until K2 (we'll call it) is released. The ONLY game that is slated for release that's Kinect Required is Kinect Star Wars, but that's a TBD, they could be waiting on K2, so I think after K2 is released, we are going to start seeing some really sweet games and enough of this kiddie stuff, but you know how MS is, to have the best, you gotta keep spending $ Big Grin

Kinect 2 won't be for the Xbox 360 though, it'll be for the next-gen Xbox. Developers obviously took a while getting the hang of Kinect which is why there have been so many delays, but now there are loads of games coming out this year so obviously the developers are getting a lot better at making games for it. It's like when the Saturn and Playstation were released, there weren't many 3D (as in polygons) games before then and most developers had just been making 2D games so it took some developers time to get the hang of making 3D games. For example Tomb Raider was released 2 years after the Saturn was released and Resident Evil was released almost a year and a half after the Playstation was released. And look at the difference between the Saturn version of Virtua Fighter and Virtua Fighter 2 a year later.
09-25-2011, 09:05 AM
I was reading K2 is supposed to be co-released with windows 8 to get PC users onto it. We're supposed to be able to access xbox live right from win8...

[Image: thezeeman.png]