/ / v /

sword fighting game, not onrails and very intuitive!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2011, 05:46 PM
I think this is greatest Kinect fighting game (for now)
I have been too busy, but seeing this makes me want to jump in and try to customize Kinect on some (simple) game. I was toying with just this idea: use older and simpler games, this guy is using lean body to move forward, and a couple of arms motions, but it's leaping out of the screen how immersive and fun the game can be! Can you think of some older game that would be not too hard to implement Kinect on?
(Maybe the old Diablo, or...?)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-06-2011, 05:57 PM
RE: sword fighting game, not onrails and very intuitive!
Yes this looks pretty cool... it's a cool idea to transform some of the older games in this way Big Grin. Hopefully some of those will come to XBLA Big Grin.

Anyways, When I'm seeing this game it instantly reminds me of Prince of Persia that could be done with Kinect. Not sure if that's simple though... or breakout, where you are the board Tongue.

The lean forward motion seems to work Big Grin.. but not sure how that 'feels'

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Has anybody downloaded FAAST and messed around with the tool-kit? I think it would be cool to see a review on this open-source app. I'd like to know how customized it can be in terms of gestures. There are a few other open-source gesture apps available. I wonder which one is the best.
01-06-2011, 10:10 PM
Exclamation RE: sword fighting game, not onrails and very intuitive!
I just thought of something. Imagine if FAAST was released on Xbox Live and let you patch any Xbox 360 games you wanted?! Big Grin
01-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Yes. It would be awesome but Microsoft has already stated they would not make games backwards compatiple with Kinect. This is a shame and why I have become more interested in the hacks. Microsoft needs to become more nimble and open with regards to Kinect IMO.
01-06-2011, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2011 11:17 PM by Corellianrogue.)
(01-06-2011 10:33 PM)Nick Wrote:  Yes. It would be awesome but Microsoft has already stated they would not make games backwards compatiple with Kinect. This is a shame and why I have become more interested in the hacks. Microsoft needs to become more nimble and open with regards to Kinect IMO.

Microsoft said that THEY wouldn't make old games compatible with Kinect. FAAST isn't made by Microsoft and also you'd be the one actually implementing it in the old games, lol! Tongue (Although having said that I suppose old games might require a patch for each one that adds a FAAST option, unless somehow the FAAST app would let you sort of "drop-in" any game to it and assign controls.)
I just thought of something else cool. Kodu + Kinect!!! Big Grin
01-07-2011, 04:49 AM
For now we have to be happy with the PC hacking community. Over the next few months, these apps are going to be much more refined and allow greater control than what we see now.The only way we see something like FAAST on XBox is if MS is behind it. I could imagine Assasins Creed or Oblivion using Kinect. That would be very fun to try.
01-07-2011, 07:29 AM
Microsoft doesnt need to open up the 360 platform for extreme cases of experimentation like the one above imo. They already have a platform for thatTongueC Tongue. Microsoft, unlike Apple for instance, does allow and even sometimes encourages movements like these.

In my view it is a good thing that Microsoft has been clear about not adding Kinect support to older Xbox games. Should they do that then you get half-**sed work on their, just to sell a few copies from a 6 year old game. This will hurt Kinect's image and perception imo.

All in all I believe in their strategy: allow open PC platform, hire the guys that turn out to be great with these libraries, allow serious work to go through xbox certification.

What do you all think there?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-08-2011, 07:03 PM
(01-07-2011 07:29 AM)Clemens Wrote:  Microsoft doesnt need to open up the 360 platform for extreme cases of experimentation like the one above imo. They already have a platform for thatTongueC Tongue. Microsoft, unlike Apple for instance, does allow and even sometimes encourages movements like these.

In my view it is a good thing that Microsoft has been clear about not adding Kinect support to older Xbox games. Should they do that then you get half-**sed work on their, just to sell a few copies from a 6 year old game. This will hurt Kinect's image and perception imo.

All in all I believe in their strategy: allow open PC platform, hire the guys that turn out to be great with these libraries, allow serious work to go through xbox certification.

What do you all think there?

Personally, I think a FAAST-type application (so long as it has mouse control!) on XBox that would allow me to map gestures to games I enjoy would add replay value. The gamers would have more freedom and be able to dictate the gestures used.

:idea:Make it a purchasable app over XBox Live! If players want to download it and try their favorite games, they could do so.Big Grin The gamers that don't want to try could simply ignore it.Sleepy

I've seen a youtube of Kinect hack to play Left 4 Dead 2 that looked very fun. And this was without mouse control. Add proper mouse control and I believe playing L4Dead2 via Kinect would be the #1 choice in terms of control.

I think MS's stance on not providing Kinect support to past games is a bad move. Imagine Oblivion, Assasins Creed etc with Kinect control! Heck... Think of your favorite XBox game...now add Kinect control. Does it make it better? Still not sure? In my perfect world, we could download the gesture control app via XBox Live and find out!

So it seems I disagree with Clemens. Confused I think it would be a mistake if MS holds to their word that Kinect control for old games will not happen. Obviously a game built from the ground up using Kinect will be better but I still think mapping old game controls to gestures would be fun and give gamers a choice.

It may be that MS is trying to protect up-coming Kinect game franchises? This may encourage developers to build REALLY engaging Kinect games from the ground up because they don't exist? The fallacy in this argument is that they WILL exist already on PC by the time core games hit the market on XBox.
01-08-2011, 11:51 PM
I agree with Nick, now go back to a really great game you enjoyed on the old Xbox. It had everything, atmosphere, story, replayability, and you still play it when there's a chance. Except it doesn't have the next-gen graphics, you can't go into a lot of places (invisible walls), and the cinematics look corny, but hey you still think it holds up against most of the me too and copycats games of today.
Right now I happen to be playing Rogue Trooper on my PC, and I would really love to play it Kinect style, it might just bring something unique to a game that's not well known but I think has a lot of terrific things going for it. Bringing Kinect control to old good games would not be rehashing something already dead, but it could be experiencing something great through the latest technology.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any game that you can use your personal Kinect avatar to play in-game? ProjectNatalFan 13 593 01-19-2011 02:23 AM
Last Post: Clemens
  RTS game Ruse with Kinect support peterng25 7 487 01-04-2011 06:01 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
Exclamation Best Kinect Hack (For A Game) So Far! Corellianrogue 6 743 12-31-2010 11:51 PM
Last Post: Nick
Wink Game Rentals bbaxter18 13 1,043 11-11-2010 12:08 AM
Last Post: HazyCloud

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)