Kinect FORUM

Full Version: [Fighters Uncaged] Review: Cool concept, somewhat buggy. [6/10]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Fighters Uncaged

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMVQyLfVBmYiecDXypzVn...OXUJw7r6w=]
  • Official site http://fighters-uncaged.uk.ubi.com/
  • Developer: Ubisoft
  • Genre: Fighting
  • Modes: Full Mission Single Player, League, Training
  • Players: 1
  • Online Features: Achievements, Leaderboards
  • Kinect Features: 1 Player, Voice Enabled
  • Kinect Activity Level: Active
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: All

Fighters Uncaged - The good
  • The graphics are pretty sweet, players are detailed and become hurt as you beat them up.
  • Controls are decent, it is at least playable
  • It takes the concept of training you to really fight, which I found interesting

Fighters Uncaged - The not so good
  • Combos do not work very well
  • Headbutting barely works, and unfortunately you need it to get past a couple training parts, but this could be my lighting
  • Maybe it's just me, but this game seemed to require a ton of effort and I can't imagine people can play this for too long without taking breaks

Fighters Uncaged - Kinect experience
There are a lot of different moves you can do, but my problem was Kinect doesn't always detect it correctly, but I won't fully blame the game on this one, as it could be my lighting, but the controls are probably as good as Your Shape.

Fighters Uncaged - Graphics
Graphics are top notch, but nothing extraordinary about them. They are just as good as Call of Duty or other current gen games.

Fighters Uncaged - Gameplay
The game has a cool concept, it's basically UFC but with no gloves and in street clothes and based on a Fight Club idea. You can do quite a few moves, such as straight punches, straight kicks, elbows to the head, kneeing to the gut, roundhouse kicks (although you don't do a full roundhouse for real) and headbutting. I didn't have too many issues with it recognizing what I was doing except for headbutting.

But it needs to be perfected on combos because when you do a real combo, like right punch left punch. Either kinect or the game isn't fast enough to pick it up and it doesn't relay to the game, if however you do a punch, then a kick, it does pick it up sometimes, so I'm not sure if there are only certain combos you can do or what, but I'm still experiencing the game.

Now when you start it up, it makes you go through some training. The training portion is cool, because those with no fighting experience, it gives you the basics. You are also taught how to dodge and block (such as to block a kick, you raise your knee depending on what leg they are kicking with). After you go through training, you get to fight. It's a normal old school fighting style, with the best out of 3 rounds, you know like street fighter days. But after the fight, I couldn't play anymore. It didn't measure velocity, but it seems the fighting portion takes longer than say Kinect Sports boxing for example and you get tired from swinging, kicking, dodging, blocking, etc. So I took a break from it for now, but this game won't be for everyone. You'll either be content with it and play it every so often, or hate it. This is not one of Ubisoft's "love it" titles.

Fighters Uncaged - Multiplayer options
I didn't see anything relating to multiplayer so I believe this is a one player game.

Conclusion
Overall not too bad of a game. They just need to work out some of the bugs and it could be a decent game, but it's nothing to rant or rave about.

More Fighters Uncaged
[news] [trailer] [gameplay] [order here]
I think I'm going to rent this just to see what it's like. (Although I wouldn't be able to play it much for health reasons, same goes for the running on Kinect Sports, I don't know when if ever I'll be able to do that properly really.) But I had an idea about the moves and this may fix your combos problem. Try playing it as if you're practicing moves rather than as if you're in a real fight. By that I mean do a move, hold it for half a second or so then do the next move and so on. I think the problem is that unlike games like Kinect Adventures and Your Shape this particular game isn't using 1:1 body tracking so in this game Kinect has to know what move you're trying to do before it can trigger it so if you're constantly moving while doing combos then it could get confused and not be sure where the end of each move you're trying to do is.
Yeah I would definitely recommend a rental. From some other reviews I picked up on, it's very short. I'm going to take a look at it again, and if there are only 4-5 fights from the different fighters it advertises, then it probably is not worth a buy. I'll try your suggestion and see if it works any better, you may be right!
(11-06-2010 04:40 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah I would definitely recommend a rental. From some other reviews I picked up on, it's very short. I'm going to take a look at it again, and if there are only 4-5 fights from the different fighters it advertises, then it probably is not worth a buy. I'll try your suggestion and see if it works any better, you may be right!

Sorry about that ZeeMan. I didn't realize that you had the game in another forum where I asked about this. Thanks for the write up. I'll probably rent it at some point to try it out. Thanks again.
No problem! My overall goal is by the end of November to have every single kinect game reviewed! Well except the EU only ones...but Here's the planned list:

https://123kinect.com/kinect-forums/thread-185.html
Renting or buying all those?
Renting...I'm scared now because of how horrible the controls were in MotionSports LOL I'm getting the first 4 for sure...I should have Potter by Wednesday, and the other 3 kinect only ones by Friday...so goal is have the reviews up by Friday night or Saturday morning Smile
I don't have any issues with the controls on MotionSports. I hear people complaining about it, but I played it again last night and had no issues. Hmmm.
Ok in the football one your guy ducks???
(11-12-2010 08:48 PM)UndgnfiedWrshpr Wrote: [ -> ]I don't have any issues with the controls on MotionSports. I hear people complaining about it, but I played it again last night and had no issues. Hmmm.

Hmm that's interesting, maybe you can see what it is that you do that makes it work Big Grin
The game has some issues with throwing moves other than the ones you do, but it is an ok first attempt at a fighting game for Kinect. A rental is a great idea. The game doesn't offer a ton of variety. You kind have to figure out the timing.
Unlike the boxing in Kinect Sports, Fighters Uncaged is more turn based. You can't do really fast punching or kicking like you can do real fast punching in the Kinect Sports boxing. You have to change your mindset in that your body is a controller than that your actually fighting so much.

Although the on screen guy will do some punches and kicks you didn't throw especially when you loose your balance, I found when I slowed down and let my guy finish punches and kicks before doing another, I did a whole lot better and didn't wear myself out so fast beating the air.

Unlike kinect boxing that only works the arms, Fighters Uncaged will work your whole body if your into the cardio working out which I am so I like to come home after work, sitting at a desk all day, and beat on a couple guys in Fighters Uncaged or a couple different sports or the Kinect Adventures. These are a good brain unwind and a physical perk-me-up after work.
I played with 2 friends last week, at first we were throwing so fast and so hard (like boxing in kinect sports) that we couln'd stand more than 1 round each ! But as we played we learned that is better to slown down, analyze the opponent, block his shot and attack right after.

So we played for 1 hour and at the end we were better against opponents and at the way kinect understand our shot.

But i will not buy this one !
Reference URL's