123 Kinect FORUM

Full Version: Anxious to shed some pounds for my senior year
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, i'm currently 17 and am 5'3 and 188 lbs., and ah yes not to mention i'm a girl. I've read many weight loss stories with kinect and well i'm hoping my parents will buy the kinect and games for me. I've had issues with overweight and at this state i'm considered obese. I have high cholesterol and vulnerable to getting diabetes if i continue gaining weight with all these junk food cravings. It's summer now and i want to lose at least 15-20 lbs. before school starts again and it's my senior year in high school. I want to look and feel better of myself for a change. I need opinions, suggestions, advices, anything that can help me get motivated into shedding off some fat off me.

I mostly want to lose belly fat, inner thigh fat, and slim down my hips along for my upper arm fat. It's been bothering me for years and yet i never had the motivation i needed to lose this weight. I have a treadmill and planning to start off walking for about 30 mins. everday and if i get the kinect i plan to play for as long as i can. Of course my timing on the treadmill will gradually increase every week but as a beginner in excercising i must start off slowly. I'm a gamefreak and considering i won my xbox 360 in a contest, it gives me a chance to experience games other than from nintento Big Grin

I appreciate you all taking time to read this and perhaps give me tips to lose weight fast? I'm challenging myself to lose about 50 lbs before 2012. Thanks again ^_^
Hi MetalFreak,

Welcome to the site (if you haven't been here before)! Smile. Personally, my advice would be to get Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. I recommend it because of it's personalized plans, which are pretty cool, considering it measures you and adjust the plans to you accordingly. From there, it gives you routines to do with a trainer, teaches you yoga, and there's even some mini-games too.

On the other hand though, there are many games for Kinect, and since they all require moving, they're all good to play. My other recommendations would either be Kinect Sports, or even better, Dance Central, which takes you through moves before getting you to do routines.

My only other advice is this: keep on at it! I know first-hand how it can be, but Kinect makes exercise fun (or at least funner than it normally is). For the treadmill, as well, listen to music while you workout. I do that at my local gym and it really makes the time fly!
(07-04-2011 06:56 PM)dp247 Wrote: [ -> ]Hi MetalFreak,

Welcome to the site (if you haven't been here before)! Smile. Personally, my advice would be to get Your Shape: Fitness Evolved. I recommend it because of it's personalized plans, which are pretty cool, considering it measures you and adjust the plans to you accordingly. From there, it gives you routines to do with a trainer, teaches you yoga, and there's even some mini-games too.

On the other hand though, there are many games for Kinect, and since they all require moving, they're all good to play. My other recommendations would either be Kinect Sports, or even better, Dance Central, which takes you through moves before getting you to do routines.

My only other advice is this: keep on at it! I know first-hand how it can be, but Kinect makes exercise fun (or at least funner than it normally is). For the treadmill, as well, listen to music while you workout. I do that at my local gym and it really makes the time fly!

Thanks ^^ i just got the kinect yesterday with the kinect adventures and dance central. I'm loving them, and it's quite ironic, I don't really like dancing but i guess it's because i'm shy to dance around others because of my weight and how i look but being able to do it at home alone with my little siblings makes it so fun. I felt like i lost a pound haha, i played for about 6 hours with some breaks in between.

Yeah i'm only going on the treadmill about 4-5 times a week then play kinect as much as I can. I'm really looking forward to losing at least 15-20 lbs. by the end of August. As for that fitness game, I'll see if i can get that soon by selling some old Wii games my brother and I haven't played in ages.

Also, i need a diet plan. I have cut back on some calories significantly especially eating many sweets like ice cream, chips, etc. I've been drinking only water which is what i've mostly drank for about 2-3 years now.
there are tons of exercise games on the Kinect. a number of them have dietary menus and plans. a few have online multiplayer so you can exercise together and talk to each other.

i personally prefer swimming and biking (swimming b/c you don't sweat and biking for the wind and the speed). but when I'm at home, I like The Biggest Loser because it has it all such as use of devices (weights, exercise ball, etc.), floor routines, dietary tips, exercise plans, and online multiplayer. It doesn't have great graphics or really fun minigames though.

I'm interested in the UFC Trainer one, mostly because I like the idea of punching exercises. The punching minigame was the reason I liked the Your Shape program but Your Shape is pretty limited in scope (mostly jumping exercises and yoga exercises).

So if a demo comes out for UFC and I like it, I can imagine picking it up. Otherwise, I have my fill of exercise through swimming, biking, and The Biggest Loser.

Dance Central is awesome. Can't wait for the sequel to come out this fall. Hopefully they fulfill their promise of opening up the variety of dance tracks (a little too Harmonix old school for my tastes).
Greetings dirtyvu,

I wish I had a swimming pool in my house, I'd definitely motivate myself to swim everyday. It's soothing and fun but unfortunately I can only manage having this treadmill and the kinect in the palm of my hands. I honestly think combining the two will help me lose weight in no time. I just need to commit myself and not give up.

Ah yes, I saw the UFC trailer. It does look tempting =D I'll see if I can get more games for the kinect to try out. As for Dance Central, I'm still trying to get the hang of it since I don't know how to dance xD but I'm getting there and I only play for about 15 minutes and i already feel the burn but it's really fun to dance to.
Reference URL's