Kinect Community Forums

Full Version: [EA Sports Active 2] Review: I think it's a tie! [8/10]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
EA Sports Active 2

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR5bw4wJYX_rS815MY5XlM...snMGU1sH4A]
  • Official site www.easportsactive.com
  • Developer: EA Vancouver
  • Genre: Fitness
  • Alternative game name: N/A
  • Players: 2
  • Xbox Live supported?: Yes
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: Teen - Adult

EA Sports Active 2 - The good
  • I really like how it sets up the workout programs from warmup, active to cooldown
  • Very nice variety of different things to excercise to
  • Interesting to see your heart rate, is it necessary no, but it is cool
  • Tutorials are very well explained and shown

EA Sports Active 2 - The not so good
  • It takes awhile to setup your initial player from very detailed character customization to all of the setup instructions
  • Price is $99.99 which like I stated, a heartbeat monitor which really isn't needed, but they make it mandatory, they also include batteries for the monitor and a very cheap resistance band. It almost forces you to get the better ones they sell separately.
  • If you don't have adequate room and proper lighting, you are going to have some detection issues with the floor excercises

EA Sports Active 2 - Story
No story mode, but it does have 2 programs with additional programs to download. The 2 to start with are either a 3 week cardio program or a full blown 9 week program. It schedules what days to work out for you and you can adjust your workout schedule based on your real life schedule. Pretty cool to me Smile

EA Sports Active 2 - Kinect experience
Kinect works very well with this game, except in my case, I didn't have a large enough play area and the lighting kept having issues when I was doing the floor excercises. Having the heart monitor on is awkward but I think it's because I'm used to no addons with kinect.

EA Sports Active 2 - Graphics
Graphics are good, nothing superb, but just like any other EA Sports game.

EA Sports Active 2 - Gameplay
It's not really a game, so there isn't much game elementals to it. You either do the excercises right or it doesn't let you progress. There are some non-regular excercise routines, I was only able to experience mountain biking which is interesting, dodgeball which is just like the volleyball dodging game in Kinect Sports, and a cardio boxing which was a tad buggy, but again, it was requiring me to crouch and jab and it kept missing the hit, so I'm going to blame my setup/lighting on that one. There was also a regular sprint race which was cool but not even close to being realistic, you can jog and it looks like you are running 50mph. This was what was part of my program, you can also select individual excercises as well, but I was pretty exhausted so I didn't do anything else.

Game Name - Multiplayer options
This is the only excercise game that allows simultaneous 2 player excercising together, however you have to purchase another heartbeat monitor and EA has not made them available yet.

Conclusion
It's a completely different experience from Your Shape. I really liked how you didn't do normal excercising routines such as lunges and squats, instead of doing regular lunges and squats, it throws in the resistance bands and you actually feel like you are working out, not just stretching your muscles.

The bad thing is, the resistance band they give is just a piece of green rubber, and you have to knot it yourself. It seems like its going to break very easily. I picked up the heavy duty resistance bands 3 pack which are way better. I would of given it an 8, but because they are at least packing in a cheap resistance band instead of nothing, they get one more point. To me using a resistance band is so much better than using nothing at all.

Screenshots
Not really a screenshot, but rather show you what you get.

[Image: easa2.jpg]

More EA Sports Active 2.0
[news] [trailer] [gameplay] [screenshots] [achievements] [order here]
Nice review my wife already bugging me to buy it
LOL I'm good like that Tongue
Wow great review TheZeeman, however, the mark: 9/10... it seems to me that you have a lot of 'well this is not perfect, and this is not perfect'.

In my view, the stuff you get extra is what you pay for too, so I don't think you should give a full point for that...

Your view?
Hmm agreed. It is by no means a perfect game, but it is a completely different approach to excercising. Compared to Your Shape, YS is more of a fitness/cardio program, whereas this is more strength, cardio, fitness, endurance, etc...it covers it all.

Changed to an 8!
I see you lowered your mark, thx voor being open to suggestions! I see how this is totally different from YS, as this is more of a tradional approach. Whereas it seems to me that YS is trying to be futuristic about it.

What did you think of the online/tracking capabilities?
Yup, they both have their pro's and con's. I also can't clearly state if one is better than the other that's why I reviewed them as a tie. It really depends on what you are looking for. I also only worked out once on each, both at the easy level, and EASA was more active and had you do more things, although for all I know, YS could have really challenging excercises on the harder levels more than EASA. It's hard to tell at this point.

Online is interesting. I'm really not utilizing either one yet, but I'll make a new thread to compare them - it needs its own thread because there are quite a few differences between them Smile
This is awesome! I just picked this game up yesterday and cannot wait to play it! I'm an Army Captain recovering from some injuries - so if anybody wants to start a workout group (motivational, etc) let me know!

How is the online tracking?
100% accurate SmileIt's EA man lol that is one thing they are good at.
Great review, thanks
Pages: 1 2
Reference URL's