We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

My "Get in shape" Blog

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
My "Get in shape" Blog
02-18-2011, 11:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 02:25 AM by legreffer.)
My "Get in shape" Blog

WHY : I’m not a gamer (i played Doom on pc long long time ago) but when a played with a friend’s Kinect, i just love it ! I bought one 2 or 3 days later along with Kinect Sports and Dance Central. After playing those 2 games (even Kinect Adventures), i realized i wasn’t in good shape : i found myself a perfect motivation to start a training. I received Your Shape Fitness Evolved for Christmas and i bought EA Sports Active 2 about 3 weeks ago.

ABOUT MYSELF : I realized i didn’t introduce myself in the thread Feel free to introduce yourself here. My name is Martin and i’m from Montreal (near ubisoft) and my native language is french (that explain errors that i’v made in some of my posts lol), i’m a 38 separated man with 2 kids (13 and 10). I had a liver transplant in 2003 (my username/gamertag “Legreffer”, which is in french, means : the transplanted). I’m fine since then, but i’m not doing a lot of sports. My weight is 160lbs (72kg) and my height is 5’10” (178cm).

MY GOAL : I don’t have weight to lose (ok maybe some Dodgy), but what i want is to be in a better shape. So i’m looking to improve my cardio and beef up my muscles a little. I’m not sure how to track this but one thing i do is to play the Rapid Runner Track & Field mini-game in Kinect Sports, which is very hard on cardio, to see if i can beat my score (1051.85m) and to check how is my heart/cardio and the level of pain in my thighs Confused.

EASA2 (EA Sports Active 2) vs YSFE (Your Shape Fitness Evolved) : Workouts in EASA2 are well balanced and self-organized (warm-up -­> cardio/muscles exercises and mini-games -> cool-down/stretching) and create a custom calendar based on the program you have chosen. EASA2 have a wider variety of exercises : most of YS has plus floor exercises, running, jogging, mountain biking, push ups, dodge-ball, boxing, soccer, etc. EASA2 feature a Journal where you can add other activities you do (walking, running, yardwork, etc - but they don’t go to your stats) and everything about your nutrition : you can add what you eat. Kinect integration and tracking, and menu navigation is better in YS (i’m using the controller for menu navigating in EASA2), but i have a hard time to always be in sync (i get very frustrated in Zen class Angry). EASA2 have the heart rate monitor which seem to be working well and i think it track calories better. Both games Online's Stuff have problem right now (since i changed my workout in EASA2, i have 2-3 scheduled workouts for the same day!!!), but EASA2 give much more information and stats, and i love stats Smile. You can make a custom list of MP3 in EASA2 but haven’t done yet. As an former DJ i will do it for sure. I will give my impressions of both games along this blog. If you have problems with EASA2 read this FAQ.

HOW : I will mainly use EASA2 and use YSFE as a complement. In EASA2 i started with the 3 weeks program and after 4 workouts i changed to 9 weeks program at medium difficulty. In YSFE i’m not sure for now, probably sculpting which is a mix of cardio and toning and maybe Sleeve-Busting Arms Workout (by Men's Health). I did 4 or 5 workouts in YSFE before i got EASA2 then i lent it to a friend. Both games are good for cardio, but YSFE is not good at all for muscles and the resistance band in EASA2 is not enough for muscles. I must get better resistance bands or dumbbells, any advice on this ? I also need a mat for floor exercises.

STATS : I'm an analytical thinker (that’s why i’m a network administrator i guess Wink) so i will post some stats. Each stat will be like this : today / total since i began the game.

MHB (Max heartbeat rate) : I read on easportsactive.com that the max rate is calculated with this formula : 220-age. So my MHB is 220-38 = 182bpm. I hit 200 in one of the 3 weeks program’s workout and 195 on workout #4, so i should keep an eye on that.

P.S. : Please send me a PM if i’v made spelling or grammatical errors in this post and in the future ones, i’m a perfectionist and a learning freak Big Grin.

2011/02/09 (Wednesday)

[EASA2] : Workout 01 (day 1 of 36)
EXERCISES : 28
CALORIES : 160 /
DURATION : 26 min /
MHB : 169 /
AHB : 114 /
DISTANCE (miles) : 2.1 /

2011/02/11 (Friday)

[EASA2] : Workout 02 (day 2 of 36)
CALORIES : 176 /
DURATION : 31 min /
MHB : 157 /
AHB : 112 /
DISTANCE (miles) : 2.2 /

2011/02/13 (Sunday)

[Kinect Sports] : i played boxing (i sweated a lot), volley and tennis for 1h30

[EASA2] : Workout 03 (day 3 of 36) and Fitness Tracker Test
EXERCISES : 26
CALORIES : 227 /
DURATION : 31 min /
MHB : 177 /
AHB : 110 /
DISTANCE (miles) : 0.9 /

Today it asked me to do a Fitness test :
- Heart Rate Test : ran for 2:08 min with max rate of 115
- Fitness Test Cooldown : walked for 1 min

2011/02/14 (Monday)

[EASA2] : Workout 04 (day 4 of 36)
CALORIES : 172 / 1229
DURATION : 32 min / 3h39
MHB : 195 / 200
AHB : 125 / 110
DISTANCE (miles) : 2 / 3.52

I did a lot of squats (14 of 28) and run/bike (4 of 28), it was very hard. After a couples of exercises, the “drink water” message came in, yessss...but just half second later the coach was ready to start, noooooo Undecided. I had to get out of the view of Kinect 4 or 5 times during the session to take a pause. At the end i was sore, this was the toughest since i began the game. I read on forums that the workout #4 is the most difficult.

I added 30 min. in “Other Activity” because i shoveled when i got home.

2011/02/16 (Wednesday)

[EASA2] : Workout 05 (day 5 of 36)
EXERCISES : 33
CALORIES : 253 / 1482
DURATION : 37 min / 4h16
MHB : 181 / 200
AHB : 128 / 111
DISTANCE (miles) : 1.1 / 4.62

Today it was a mixed of cardio and squats. I think I did all the exercises in this game Sad. Finally I didn't Smile. And it’s the workout where i burned the most calories. Also i did the Kinect Tuner before starting the workout (I lowered the angle of the kinect once), and the tracking during the game worked perfectly.

[Image: legreffer.jpg]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards] [Youtube]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-19-2011, 06:20 AM
RE: My "Get in shape" Blog
2011/02/18 (Friday)

[EASA2] : Workout 06 (day 6 of 36)
EXERCISES : 30
CALORIES : 186 / 1669
DURATION : 33 min / 4h49
MHB : 162 / 200
AHB : 117 / 112
DISTANCE (miles) : 1.8 / 4.77

Lots of running, biking and dodgeball (played 4 times!). Curiously it's dodgeball that burned the more calories 62/186(33%) and 25/186(13%) for biking.
So it was concentrated on cardio. My thigh were hurting since workout #4, so today it was a little break for them Smile.
I didn't push very hard. Oh i did a new execise : Prone Plank to Side Plank - it was hard on my back !

I got back my YS game, i didn't play since i got EASA2 so i'm looking forward to see if my feeling about it will change after playing EASA2...

I will surely play Rapid Runner this week-end to see if i can do better Huh

02-21-2011, 08:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2011 12:04 AM by legreffer.)

2011/02/20 (Sunday)

[YSFE] : Cardio Racer + Sleeve-Busting Arms Workout (Men’s Health)
CALORIES : 205 (153+52) / 1745
DURATION : 38 (28+10) min / 3h47
PERCENTAGE : ? (94+?) %

I played YSFE for the first time in 2 weeks, the first thing i did was « Sleeve-Busting Arms Workout », i really loved it because it was mostly for muscles, so it’s a perfect fit for me since there’s not enough of that in EASA2. I used the resistance band from EASA2 and it worked great Smile (i don’t have dumbbells yet). I will add a session of it in my routine just before doing EASA2. One week ago i got « Cardio Racer » from Uplay, it cost me 40U (uplay credits). So i did this workout right after « Sleeve-Busting Arms Workout », WOW this one is the toughest i have done in YS and maybe even in EASA2, it was 28 min of all cardio (in EASA2 you have warm-up and stretching exercises before and after main exercises). I still have problems to stay in sync with the trainer Dodgy, but it was cool to change from EASA2.

Last week i created a challenge online, so after i reached it, i gained 30U which give me a total of 40U, but there’s nothing interesting on Uplay.com for me right now.

[EASA2] : Workout 07 (day 7 of 36) + Fitness test
EXERCISES : 32 (30+2)
CALORIES : 261 (238+23) / 1932
DURATION : 36 (33+3) min / 5h25
MHB : 162 / 200
AHB : 122 / 113
DISTANCE (miles) : 0.9 (0.8+0.1) / 5.71
Fitness test :
- Heart Rate Test : ran for 1:21 min with a max rate of 146
- Fitness Test Cooldown : walked for 2 min

After YS i did my scheduled EASA2 workout, i wasn’t sure if i could do it because I was breathless Undecided. I disabled this running exercise from the list before starting : « Fitness Trail – Outrun ». This workout was a mix of cardio and muscles exercises, but not too much cardio which i enjoyed because of the 28 min of cardio i did in YS. I did a new exercise : « Single Arm Bent Over Rows ».

I burned a total of 466 calories which maybe too much for me, at least at this moment of my program.

I will used both games : EASA2 as a main tool and YS for muscles and maybe Cardio Boxing which i like a lot. Finally, i didn’t do "Rapid Runner", my body couldn't take it.

02-22-2011, 05:13 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2011 02:46 AM by legreffer.)

2011/02/21 (Monday)

[YSFE] : Sleeve-Busting Arms (1/12)
CALORIES : 47 / 1792
DURATION : 10 min / 3h57
PERCENTAGE : 94 % (i’m not sure what that number is and if it’s accurate)

[EASA2] : Workout 08 (day 8 of 36)
EXERCISES : 31
CALORIES : 201 / 2133 - I earned the 2000 Calories Milestone Big Grin
DURATION : 32 min / 5h59
MHB : 183 / 200
AHB : 120 / 113
DISTANCE (miles) : 2.12 / 6.2

This one was difficult, lots of squats, my thighs are hurting me. This sequence was really tough :
  • Side to Side Jump Repeats x 45
  • Squats x 10
  • Squat Jump Repeats x 30
  • Side to Side Jump Repeats x 45
  • Alternating Side Lunges x 16
  • Split Squat Jump Repeats x 30 - those are killing me !!! After 15 I collapsed on the floor and I did the "star", lol

I don’t know how some are burning 500 calories a day Huh.
All the girls and boys from the "weight loss" forum have my respect Wink

02-22-2011, 12:43 PM
(02-18-2011 11:31 PM)legreffer Wrote:  

EASA2 (EA Sports Active 2) vs YSFE (Your Shape Fitness Evolved) : Workouts in EASA2 are well balanced and self-organized (warm-up -­> cardio/muscles exercises and mini-games -> cool-down/stretching) and create a custom calendar based on the program you have chosen. EASA2 have a wider variety of exercises : most of YS has plus floor exercises, running, jogging, mountain biking, push ups, dodge-ball, boxing, soccer, etc. EASA2 feature a Journal where you can add other activities you do (walking, running, yardwork, etc - but they don’t go to your stats) and everything about your nutrition : you can add what you eat. Kinect integration and tracking, and menu navigation is better in YS (i’m using the controller for menu navigating in EASA2), but i have a hard time to always be in sync (i get very frustrated in Zen class Angry). EASA2 have the heart rate monitor which seem to be working well and i think it track calories better. Both games Online's Stuff have problem right now (since i changed my workout in EASA2, i have 2-3 scheduled workouts for the same day!!!), but EASA2 give much more information and stats, and i love stats Smile. You can make a custom list of MP3 in EASA2 but haven’t done yet. As an former DJ i will do it for sure. I will give my impressions of both games along this blog. If you have problems with EASA2 read this FAQ.

I am sorry to interrupt your blog, but you are the first person that I have seen that have posted EAS2 vs YS. I wished this was posted 2 weeks ago, before I have gotten YS over EAS2. Do not get me wrong YS is so far very good? But I needed to know which one was better. I chose YS over EAS2. I could of have gotten both, but chose not too. Now I am kind of bummed out. Wished I had gotten both at the same time.

In YS, I go directly to Fitness Classes and pick Cardio Boxing, my favorite work out by far. Yes, I have tried Gym Class and did the stack game and boxing game. But Fitness Class, I get the most out of...now I am interested to see what other fitness classes has to offer.

My goal is to burn 200 calories per day or more, but if my body starts to ache it is a good time to stop after the course you are working out on.

One thing that bothers me on YS, you are doing the routines correctly but it sometime won't acknowledge it. An you know you have down that routine correctly. This has happen to me more than one occasion. Have you or anyone else notice this?

I wish you well on your journey to get in shape.

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
02-22-2011, 04:38 PM
You know I believe we started our EASA2 program on the same day. I'm doing the 9 week program though so that explains the calories differences.

I did my 8th workout on medium this morning. I get wednesday off then do another routine thursday and friday.

The Split Jump Squats are the only exercise I really struggle with too. Yesterday I slightly hurt my hamstring on these so I've been very careful with that leg today but I still managed to get through the session burning 230 calories or so. Twice now it's also thrown in 3 reps of 30 of these and it's killed me.

Well done so far and as you're similar in age, height and family set up to me I'll add you as a friend, if you don't mind, and we can help motivate each other.

Do you have a EASA2 group set up? We could set one up as maybe 123Kinect?

[Image: Abooie.png]
02-22-2011, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2011 02:39 PM by legreffer.)
(02-22-2011 12:43 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  I am sorry to interrupt your blog
Hey, this is what blogs and forums are for : share and discuss Wink

(02-22-2011 12:43 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  but you are the first person that I have seen that have posted EAS2 vs YS. I wished this was posted 2 weeks ago, before I have gotten YS over EAS2. Do not get me wrong YS is so far very good? But I needed to know which one was better. I chose YS over EAS2. I could of have gotten both, but chose not too. Now I am kind of bummed out. Wished I had gotten both at the same time.

In YS, I go directly to Fitness Classes and pick Cardio Boxing, my favorite work out by far. Yes, I have tried Gym Class and did the stack game and boxing game. But Fitness Class, I get the most out of...now I am interested to see what other fitness classes has to offer.

My goal is to burn 200 calories per day or more, but if my body starts to ache it is a good time to stop after the course you are working out on.

One thing that bothers me on YS, you are doing the routines correctly but it sometime won't acknowledge it. An you know you have down that routine correctly. This has happen to me more than one occasion. Have you or anyone else notice this?

I wish you well on your journey to get in shape.

Thanks. I agree with you on YS, it's a very good product, but the sync thing drive me crazy, i'm more concentrate on the trainer than on what i'm actualy doing. The other reason i prefer EASA2 is that the workout is too soft for me in YS, but as you, i like Cardio boxing. Both games have problems and they have a lot of complaints on their forums. I have the feeling that they rushed out these games...

EASA2 was buggy when it came out but since the december's update, it's working better, and we are waiting another patch in next days (february). I hope YS will do the same.

(02-22-2011 04:38 PM)Abooie Wrote:  You know I believe we started our EASA2 program on the same day. I'm doing the 9 week program though so that explains the calories differences.

I did my 8th workout on medium this morning. I get wednesday off then do another routine thursday and friday.

The Split Jump Squats are the only exercise I really struggle with too. Yesterday I slightly hurt my hamstring on these so I've been very careful with that leg today but I still managed to get through the session burning 230 calories or so. Twice now it's also thrown in 3 reps of 30 of these and it's killed me.

Well done so far and as you're similar in age, height and family set up to me I'll add you as a friend, if you don't mind, and we can help motivate each other.

Do you have a EASA2 group set up? We could set one up as maybe 123Kinect?

Heya Abooie,

I'm doing the 9 weeks program on medium too ! I slightly hurt the inside of my left thigh.

I added you as friend. I'm already in a group but it's possible to join up to 3 groups so i will create one as 123kinect (password is 123group) as you suggested Smile

02-23-2011, 04:17 AM

2011/02/22 (Tuesday)

[YSFE] : Sleeve-Busting Arms (2 of 12)
CALORIES : 50 / 1842
DURATION : 10 min / 4h07
PERCENTAGE : 100% and 80%

I like the little comments they say between each routine : “According to one study, you absorbs more calories if you eat while listening to the tv” or something like that...

[EASA2] : Workout 09 (day 9 of 36)
CALORIES : 265 / 2399
DURATION : 34 min / 6h33
MHB : 182 / 200
AHB : 126 / 114
DISTANCE (miles) : 1.1 / 7.29

I broke my record of burned calories (not in a day but in EASA2). It seems that everything is going up at each workout (number of exercises, duration, burned calories). There was kick-boxing moves in “Step Aerobics” and I really loved it. I earned the “Squat Master” milestone (1000 squats) Smile.

Today the games lost me a few times, the trainer began to run without me !!! Maybe it’s because i was away to drink some water...

After my workout i took a tour of the menu and i discovered the list of pre-defined workouts (12 or 15), it’s pretty cool. I wish they made a user's guide. Why games developers don't make them ?

Right after my workout I drunk a glass of protein supplements.

02-24-2011, 04:28 AM

2011/02/23 (Wednesday)

[EASA2] : My Trainer Workout : Upper body
EXERCISES : 13
CALORIES : 103 / 2502
DURATION : 16 min / 6h50
MHB : 159 / 200
AHB : 108 / 114
DISTANCE (miles) : 1.4 / 7.85

Today it was Rest day but i chose to do the Trainer Generated : upper body workout, i added 5 min to the 10 min preset time. I liked it, i would have preferred not to do the running exercises, but there was enough of upper body ones, which i was looking for.

02-24-2011, 10:23 AM
I like to do a lot of upper body exercise on my program days off as well. I have put together a few 30 minute custom workouts that are mostly upper body interspersed with Activities such as Step Aerobics, Mountain Biking, the 2 Soccer activities and Cardio Boxing. I put the activities in these custom workouts mostly for fun and variety. But it also gives my a more well rounded workout, without all the running on my "rest days".

[Image: uc.png]
Life is in the details, don't miss a thing Smile
02-25-2011, 04:45 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2011 04:49 AM by legreffer.)
(02-24-2011 10:23 AM)AuntieParticle Wrote:  I like to do a lot of upper body exercise on my program days off as well. I have put together a few 30 minute custom workouts that are mostly upper body interspersed with Activities such as Step Aerobics, Mountain Biking, the 2 Soccer activities and Cardio Boxing. I put the activities in these custom workouts mostly for fun and variety. But it also gives my a more well rounded workout, without all the running on my "rest days".

So are you following the 9 weeks program on the other days ?

2011/02/24 (Thursday)

[EASA2] : Workout 10 (day 10 of 36)
CALORIES : 281 / 2783
DURATION : 39 min / 7h29
MHB : 165 / 200
AHB : 120 / 114
DISTANCE (miles) : 1.8 / 8

Today it was easier even if i burned 281 calories : 3 x Dodgeball and 4 x Cardio Boxing (no jumping squats Big Grin). Maybe all those squats and burned calories are paying off after all Smile.
I like the way the game mixes and alternate exercises between each workout.

I struggled with the game to recognize me again, I look forward to this famous update.

02-25-2011, 06:33 PM
(02-25-2011 04:45 AM)legreffer Wrote:  
(02-24-2011 10:23 AM)AuntieParticle Wrote:  I like to do a lot of upper body exercise on my program days off as well. I have put together a few 30 minute custom workouts that are mostly upper body interspersed with Activities such as Step Aerobics, Mountain Biking, the 2 Soccer activities and Cardio Boxing. I put the activities in these custom workouts mostly for fun and variety. But it also gives my a more well rounded workout, without all the running on my "rest days".

So are you following the 9 weeks program on the other days ?

Yes, I'm doing the 9 week program now. Today was my second day. Before that I did the Nike Program (DLC) and then the Cardio Kick Start program. Currently I am doing a couple custom workouts even on my 9 week program days. But that may change as the program progresses and gets more challenging Smile For some reason I don't mind the squats and lunges, but I hate the jumps! I sure hope I'm getting some benefit from them.

02-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Question to all you that are exercising to lose weight, do you guys eat and then exercise? or Exercise than eat?

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
02-27-2011, 05:10 PM
(02-27-2011 03:00 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  Question to all you that are exercising to lose weight, do you guys eat and then exercise? or Exercise than eat?

That was a big question for me ! I usually get home from work at 6h30pm, so wasn't sure if it's better to eat before or after. Finally i eat before, but not too much, do my workout and right after i get a glass of protein supplements.

I think it's better to eat a little before. But my goal is to get in shaper and gain some muscles, so it may be different for those who want to lose weight...

02-27-2011, 09:21 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2011 09:22 PM by AuntieParticle.)
(02-27-2011 03:00 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  Question to all you that are exercising to lose weight, do you guys eat and then exercise? or Exercise than eat?

I'm not really exercising to lose weight at this point. I generally do my workout out very early in the morning, shortly after I get up, take the dog out and have a cup of coffee. So I don't actually eat right before or right after working out. I eat something somewhat later in the morning. I haven't really given it much thought. This is just how my mornings has started shaping up.
I think I might start my own workout thread Wink

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2012 X FuFu Reida 4 2,870 07-09-2013 02:26 AM
Last Post: gmuniversary
  Your shape 2012 - This thing really works PS3owner 0 1,476 02-06-2013 06:24 AM
Last Post: PS3owner
Wink You Shape: Fitness Evolve. meistroracer 5 2,063 01-19-2013 07:53 PM
Last Post: meistroracer
  Your Shape 2 Crraigan 0 1,566 12-29-2011 07:31 PM
Last Post: Crraigan
  getting BACK into shape! (and not a round one) retrospects 1 2,888 07-25-2011 01:50 AM
Last Post: wazza
  gahh I'm so fat and out of shape! Tsumezazanashi 9 7,535 04-05-2011 05:18 AM
Last Post: wazza