We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

Motion Sports Kinect Review

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
11-05-2010, 09:43 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 08:43 PM by Clemens.)
MotionSports

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQt0PsT1mZ0ywU2HDIktsD...pE2asEjz8=]
  • Official site N/A
  • Developer: Ubisoft
  • Genre: Sports
  • Modes: Full Mission Single Player, Multiplayer, Tutorial
  • Players: 4
  • Online Features: Achievements, Friends
  • Kinect Features: 1-2 Player
  • Kinect Activity Level: Standing - Active
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: 12+

Motion Sports - The good
  • The graphics are nice
  • Different genre of mini-sports games
  • Seems there is a good variety of options to unlock
  • Seriously, that's all I got Smile

MotionSports - The not so good
  • Worst controls on Kinect so far
  • Without proper working controls, the game is not enjoyable

MotionSports - Kinect experience
I don't think this game even went through QA and was just rushed to be a launch title. Kinect only recognizes majority of arm movements, not much else. It takes your pictures and videos as well, but not impressed about the technology utilization.

MotionSports - Graphics
The graphics are very nice. Current gen with everything in high detail.

MotionSports - Gameplay
Ok here's the main problem with the game. The controls are very half assed. I don't think Ubisoft spent as much time working on this game as they did with You Shape: Fitness Evolved. The game has its own in-game calibration setup, but it barely works. I'll give a quick rundown of all the problems I experienced.

Horseback Riding - You have to move your arms in an up and down motion to gain speed, mimicing to raise and lower the reigns on a horse. I've done horseback riding before, and you don't raise and lower on the reigns to increase speed, so it's kind of contradicting. You also have to jump over the hurdles to make your horse jump, but it's very delayed as in about 5 second delay, so it completely throws you off. It's basically trying to drive a car with a steering wheel that moves up and down. Was not impressed didn't even continue to unlock the other "modes" it had available.

Skiing - This was ok. I only did a downhill course, but you have ski poles and you have to push off, and use them to increase speed. It wasn't too bad at all, I played it at least more than once.

Football - I'm not sure if this one was the worst or boxing, but they are pretty close. The game has your player running automatically, so you don't have to run in place. I actually couldn't get past the first drill to unlock the other drills, but the first drill requires you to jump and duck to the endzone. Well, jumping works but it's also delayed, ducking doesn't work at all. I was thinking it was kinect setup, so I recalibrated and even did fine tuning. Still wouldn't detect I was ducking. Popped in Kinect Sports, amazing everything works perfect, so this is bad on Ubisoft's part. Possibly they will fix this with a patch release.

Hang Gliding - This one worked pretty good but only because you are only using your arms. If you had to use your legs, forget about it. It's very very sensitive which can get annoying at some times, if you move you arms up or down like 1 inch, it puts into a stall or a dive. Somehow I landed but I think it was more automated.

Boxing - This one is pretty bad. Your gloves disappear everytime you swing, so forget about combos. There is no skill involved either. You can just keep swinging and you have no gloves on screen, but somehow you knock your opponent down and you can't tell when you hit him.

Soccer - Again, the controls are awful so I wasn't able to pass the first drill. It's the penalty shot. It is a very cool concept, but it doesn't work. They make you walk closer to kinect, and bend over to put the ball on the ground as you would in real life. It took me about 4-5 tries to just get the ball on the ground. After its on the ground, they want you to walk backward, just as in real life, to set yourself up to kick. This is where you have tons of problems. You have to remember where the imaginary ball is on the ground and kick it. Now throw in the game not always detecting you to kick it, and yeah this took me about 10 tries per shot to get it working. It was just awful. You then switch to goalie, and this didn't work well at all either. I was able to deflect once because the opponent kicked it higher up and was able to use my arms. It also automatically dives for you. Compared to Kinect Sports soccer, this one is just awful.

MotionSports - Multiplayer options
I didn't attempt multiplayer but realistically, with the controls this bad for one person, I doubt it will work at all for two.

Conclusion
Thankfully, I did not purchase this game. I would of been very upset to waste $50 on this unfinished garbage. I rented it and if you want to check it out, I suggest you do the same.

Ubisoft is making too many games and I believe this one was on their bottom of their list.

More Motion Sports
[news] [trailer] [gameplay] [achievements] [order here]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-06-2010, 07:22 PM
RE: [Motion Sports] Review: Ehh, very overrated. [2/10]
Thanks for your review! You have to remember that the developers are still in "trying" mode. They don't know the device more than us! In a couple of months, we will see great Kinect game I think!

[Image: gagmag13.png]
11-06-2010, 08:09 PM
Well I would of given them that credit, however Ubisoft developed You Shape with no issues...They just didn't put the effort into this game.
11-08-2010, 03:47 PM
Good review. I actually was reading this in Best Buy yesterday trying to decide between Motion Sports and Kinectimals. I went with the tigers.

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-08-2010, 05:11 PM
@Hazycloud, wow love the avatar!

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
11-08-2010, 11:00 PM
(11-08-2010 05:11 PM)Clemens Wrote:  @Hazycloud, wow love the avatar!

Why thank you, good sir. It's from the avatar editor.

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
11-13-2010, 06:44 PM
I only tried the football and I couldn't get past the first unlocked phase of jumping and ducking. Jumping was ok but delayed. The ducking wouldn't work. Don't buy this game and waste $50.

Angry
11-15-2010, 12:23 AM
(11-13-2010 06:44 PM)Rickatc6 Wrote:  I only tried the football and I couldn't get past the first unlocked phase of jumping and ducking. Jumping was ok but delayed. The ducking wouldn't work. Don't buy this game and waste $50.

Angry

Thanks for the heads up! Have you gotten any other Kinect games that you enjoy?

11-23-2010, 05:54 PM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2010 06:09 PM by BlueBaron.)
I have had Kinect for a couple of days now, I had the choice of Fighters Uncaged or Motion Sports with my Kinect, I chose Motion Sports, given the two I think I made the right choice.

I wouldn't be so harsh with my review, though I haven't tried the horse riding as I'm not interested, I will give it a try, so take my score as a pre score. Yes the American Football duck doesnt work and spoils that game, I've seen a video on an American guy on Youtube in the later stages of American Football, so it may work in the U.S. A patch is most definitely needed, I only paid 19.99 for the game, 20 quid isn't to bad for the game, if a patch comes out, come on Ubisoft.

The Hang gliding is ok so is skiing, the Football Penalty shootout is ok too, probably my fav at the moment. I found boxing ok, but on first impressions Kinect Sports boxing may be better, as an ex boxer, I will give both a reasonable try over the next week.

Unfinished game but with potential I say 5/10 without bugs 6.5/10 But I would give Kinect Sports 7.5/10
01-02-2011, 04:45 PM
Sorry for bumping such an old topic, but I was excited to get motion sports for the stuff that it offered. Once I got home I was quickly dissapointed in the game.

Once I got my kinect sensor in a spot where it detects me best, The game turned to very very good for me. I can do the ducking in football which people have had problem with (including me at first).

It's a good game for me, I like all the events included except the skiing. The boxing gives you a wicked arm workout.
01-02-2011, 04:50 PM
(01-02-2011 04:45 PM)megatron8121 Wrote:  Sorry for bumping such an old topic, but I was excited to get motion sports for the stuff that it offered. Once I got home I was quickly dissapointed in the game.

Once I got my kinect sensor in a spot where it detects me best, The game turned to very very good for me. I can do the ducking in football which people have had problem with (including me at first).

It's a good game for me, I like all the events included except the skiing. The boxing gives you a wicked arm workout.

It's good to hear a different experience every now and then. Glad to know you liked the game eventually! What was wrong with your setup at first?

01-02-2011, 04:52 PM
I had my kinect sensor down low at first, It just didn't seem to work as good as it is since I moved it to above my TV.
04-04-2011, 11:52 PM
(11-05-2010 09:43 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  MotionSports

• Official site N/A

Motion Sports - The good
  • The graphics are nice

I don't think this game even went through QA and was just rushed to be a launch title. Kinect only recognizes majority of arm movements, not much else. It takes your pictures and videos as well, but not impressed about the technology utilization.

MotionSports - Graphics

MotionSports - Gameplay
Ok here's the main problem with the game. The controls are very half assed. I don't think Ubisoft spent as much time working on this game as they did with You Shape: Fitness Evolved. The game has its own in-game calibration setup, but it barely works. I'll give a quick rundown of all the problems I experienced.

Horseback Riding - You have to move your arms in an up and down motion to gain speed, mimicing to raise and lower the reigns on a horse. I've done horseback riding before, and you don't raise and lower on the reigns to increase speed, so it's kind of contradicting. You also have to jump over the hurdles to make your horse jump, but it's very delayed as in about 5 second delay, so it completely throws you off. It's basically trying to drive a car with a steering wheel that moves up and down. Was not impressed didn't even continue to unlock the other "modes" it had available.

Skiing - This was ok. I only did a downhill course, but you have ski poles and you have to push off, and use them to increase speed. It wasn't too bad at all, I played it at least more than once.

Football - I'm not sure if this one was the worst or boxing, but they are pretty close. The game has your player running automatically, so you don't have to run in place. I actually couldn't get past the first drill to unlock the other drills, but the first drill requires you to jump and duck to the endzone. Well, jumping works but it's also delayed, ducking doesn't work at all. I was thinking it was kinect setup, so I recalibrated and even did fine tuning. Still wouldn't detect I was ducking. Popped in Kinect Sports, amazing everything works perfect, so this is bad on Ubisoft's part. Possibly they will fix this with a patch release.

Hang Gliding - This one worked pretty good but only because you are only using your arms. If you had to use your legs, forget about it. It's very very sensitive which can get annoying at some times, if you move you arms up or down like 1 inch, it puts into a stall or a dive. Somehow I landed but I think it was more automated.

Boxing - This one is pretty bad. Your gloves disappear everytime you swing, so forget about combos. There is no skill involved either. You can just keep swinging and you have no gloves on screen, but somehow you knock your opponent down and you can't tell when you hit him.

Soccer - Again, the controls are awful so I wasn't able to pass the first drill. It's the penalty shot. It is a very cool concept, but it doesn't work. They make you walk closer to kinect, and bend over to put the ball on the ground as you would in real life. It took me about 4-5 tries to just get the ball on the ground. After its on the ground, they want you to walk backward, just as in real life, to set yourself up to kick. This is where you have tons of problems. You have to remember where the imaginary ball is on the ground and kick it. Now throw in the game not always detecting you to kick it, and yeah this took me about 10 tries per shot to get it working. It was just awful. You then switch to goalie, and this didn't work well at all either. I was able to deflect once because the opponent kicked it higher up and was able to use my arms. It also automatically dives for you. Compared to Kinect Sports soccer, this one is just awful.

I didn't attempt multiplayer but realistically, with the controls this bad for one person, I doubt it will work at all for two.

Conclusion
Thankfully, I did not purchase this game. I would of been very upset to waste $50 on this unfinished garbage. I rented it and if you want to check it out, I suggest you do the same.

Ubisoft is making too many games and I believe this one was on their bottom of their list.

More Motion Sports
Sounds like your Kinect doesn't work. Nothing like that for me!
07-01-2011, 03:10 AM
RE: Motion Sports Kinect Review
(11-05-2010 09:43 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  MotionSports

• Official site N/A

Motion Sports - The good
  • The graphics are nice

MotionSports - Graphics

MotionSports - Gameplay

Conclusion

More Motion Sports
There's no delay at all in Horseback riding! Your Kinect must be disKinected!
02-06-2013, 06:14 AM
RE: Motion Sports Kinect Review
I have Motion Sports Adrenaline I dont have time to do a proper review but I give it an 8/10

It's a good game to pick up and play the events are all pretty decent but the best one is the one that is in the demo.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Game Party: In Motion Kinect Review TheZeeMan 21 60,668 12-26-2017 11:09 AM
Last Post: smith andrew
  Carnival Games Kinect Review legreffer 20 54,200 12-06-2017 08:09 PM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  Adrenalin Misfits Kinect Review TheZeeMan 6 18,053 07-26-2017 02:28 PM
Last Post: Lena01
  Dance Central Kinect Review 70x7brandnew 10 19,934 08-17-2016 10:20 AM
Last Post: Cara-Membuat