/ / v /

A Healthier Me with Kinect

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-27-2011, 11:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-28-2011 09:30 AM by AuntieParticle.)
My weight loss and getting back into shape story began before I got my Kinect but it was a big part of what got me back on the right road to health and fitness. Most of my life I've been a pretty active person, though not what I'd call an athlete. I did a lot of walking and other generally active things. Over the years I had developed a healthy diet that worked well for me and kept my weight in check. But a few years ago things changed in my life that caused me to start gaining weight. I wasn't getting the activity I had formerly been used to and my diet also went awry.

Last summer right about the time I preordered my Kinect and the Your Shape Fitness Evolved (and a couple other games for fun), I started getting back into eating better again. I don't really believe in weight loss diets but I do believe in eating healthy foods in moderate amounts. Large salads, which I happen to enjoy very much, and other high fiber foods play a big part in my daily diet. I began loosing the extra weight right away. It didn't come off fast but it came off steadily. I have a home cycle that I used daily for a 40 minute workout each morning (while watching CNET/BOL on my Roku Player Smile) And that was a good start with exercise until the Kinect arrived.

I had almost reached my desired weight by the time my Kinect arrived on November 4th. My goal at this point was to tone up and get fit. I've never liked gyms or group fitness classes because they're so... well... public. But I was excited about exercising with the Kinect in the privacy of my own home - where I could flail about in front of my TV screen and no one could see but ME. I enjoyed YSFE right from the start. While I have heard some people don't enjoy having to stay in rhythm with the trainer, I found that added to my enjoyment of the workout sessions. I have to say I was really sore for a while. I was, after all, moving in ways I had not in a very long time. But I kept at it and exercised everyday. My workouts became the delight of my mornings. I especially enjoyed the Zen and Cardio boxing fitness classes - and later the Bollywood Dancing (DLC). My favorite personal training program is Sleeve Busting Arms because I'm very interested in upper body toning. I ended up loosing a few additional pounds from the exercise as well as getting into better shape.

It was always part of my plan to purchase EA Sports Active 2 as an additional workout program. But I thought it was a bit highly priced at first. I decided to wait until the price came down a bit. I ordered it in late December. I wasn't as delighted with it when I first started using it as I had been with YSFE. It seemed more regimented to me and so not as much fun. I also had some difficulty with my knees and all the jumping exercises, since I am completely flat footed and exercise on a very heard floor. I eventually solved that problem by buying a good pair of fitness shoes. After doing a couple shorter programs (Nike Low Impact & Cardio Kick Start) and creating some custom workout for myself I stared enjoying EASA2 more. I have recently started the 9 week program. Currently I do a couple custom workouts on my "Rest Days" and a custom workout or two on the day when I do the 9 week program. I will probably cut down a bit on the custom workouts as the program moves along and gets more challenging.

I stopped using YSFE for about a week because I was concentrating my efforts on EASA2. But starting tomorrow I plan to do a bit less in EASA2 and go back to doing some of my morning exercise with YSFE. I've missed it Smile

What's the benefit of all this? I feel GREAT! The initial soreness is long gone and I feel like myself again. I don't know exactly when it happened but somewhere along the way I stopped grimacing during my workouts and started smiling. At the end of each workout I found I was no longer saying "Man, I'm so tired and sore." And stated saying, "Wow, I feel wonderful!"

[Image: AuntieParticle.jpg]
Life is in the details, don't miss a thing Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-28-2011, 02:04 AM
RE: A Healthier Me with Kinect
That's was a good read ! Congrats for having get back your shape.

I'm in the same boat as you : at start i was really sore but now i'm feeling so good after a workout, i can't wait for the next one Smile

Personally i'm looking forwad to UFC Personal Trainer.

I'm gonna follow you, keep going !

[Image: legreffer.png]

[My "Get in shape" Blog] [Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
03-01-2011, 03:27 PM (This post was last modified: 03-01-2011 03:28 PM by Abooie.)
Aye that was a good read though I feel guilty now for not doing anything on my rest days! Tongue

I too workout on hard oak floors and bought some trainers a few weeks ago and it makes a big difference. I've also got (well it's my wifes and I've pinched it) a yoga mat for the floor exercises.
Aye that was a good read though I feel guilty now for not doing anything on my rest days! Tongue

I too workout on hard oak floors and bought some trainers a few weeks ago and it makes a big difference. I've also got (well it's my wifes and I've pinched it) a yoga mat for the floor exercises.

[Image: Abooie.png]
04-02-2011, 11:45 PM
(02-27-2011 11:14 PM)AuntieParticle Wrote:  My weight loss and getting back into shape story began before I got my Kinect but it was a big part of what got me back on the right road to health and fitness. Most of my life I've been a pretty active person, though not what I'd call an athlete. I did a lot of walking and other generally active things. Over the years I had developed a healthy diet that worked well for me and kept my weight in check. But a few years ago things changed in my life that caused me to start gaining weight. I wasn't getting the activity I had formerly been used to and my diet also went awry.

Last summer right about the time I preordered my Kinect and the Your Shape Fitness Evolved (and a couple other games for fun), I started getting back into eating better again. I don't really believe in weight loss diets but I do believe in eating healthy foods in moderate amounts. Large salads, which I happen to enjoy very much, and other high fiber foods play a big part in my daily diet. I began loosing the extra weight right away. It didn't come off fast but it came off steadily. I have a home cycle that I used daily for a 40 minute workout each morning (while watching CNET/BOL on my Roku Player Smile) And that was a good start with exercise until the Kinect arrived.

I had almost reached my desired weight by the time my Kinect arrived on November 4th. My goal at this point was to tone up and get fit. I've never liked gyms or group fitness classes because they're so... well... public. But I was excited about exercising with the Kinect in the privacy of my own home - where I could flail about in front of my TV screen and no one could see but ME. I enjoyed YSFE right from the start. While I have heard some people don't enjoy having to stay in rhythm with the trainer, I found that added to my enjoyment of the workout sessions. I have to say I was really sore for a while. I was, after all, moving in ways I had not in a very long time. But I kept at it and exercised everyday. My workouts became the delight of my mornings. I especially enjoyed the Zen and Cardio boxing fitness classes - and later the Bollywood Dancing (DLC). My favorite personal training program is Sleeve Busting Arms because I'm very interested in upper body toning. I ended up loosing a few additional pounds from the exercise as well as getting into better shape.

It was always part of my plan to purchase EA Sports Active 2 as an additional workout program. But I thought it was a bit highly priced at first. I decided to wait until the price came down a bit. I ordered it in late December. I wasn't as delighted with it when I first started using it as I had been with YSFE. It seemed more regimented to me and so not as much fun. I also had some difficulty with my knees and all the jumping exercises, since I am completely flat footed and exercise on a very heard floor. I eventually solved that problem by buying a good pair of fitness shoes. After doing a couple shorter programs (Nike Low Impact & Cardio Kick Start) and creating some custom workout for myself I stared enjoying EASA2 more. I have recently started the 9 week program. Currently I do a couple custom workouts on my "Rest Days" and a custom workout or two on the day when I do the 9 week program. I will probably cut down a bit on the custom workouts as the program moves along and gets more challenging.

I stopped using YSFE for about a week because I was concentrating my efforts on EASA2. But starting tomorrow I plan to do a bit less in EASA2 and go back to doing some of my morning exercise with YSFE. I've missed it Smile

What's the benefit of all this? I feel GREAT! The initial soreness is long gone and I feel like myself again. I don't know exactly when it happened but somewhere along the way I stopped grimacing during my workouts and started smiling. At the end of each workout I found I was no longer saying "Man, I'm so tired and sore." And stated saying, "Wow, I feel wonderful!"
All of that just to live 2 or 3 more years than someone who doesn't!
04-03-2011, 08:05 AM (This post was last modified: 04-03-2011 01:21 PM by legreffer.)
(04-02-2011 11:45 PM)Mrzocor Wrote:  
(02-27-2011 11:14 PM)AuntieParticle Wrote:  What's the benefit of all this? I feel GREAT! The initial soreness is long gone and I feel like myself again. I don't know exactly when it happened but somewhere along the way I stopped grimacing during my workouts and started smiling. At the end of each workout I found I was no longer saying "Man, I'm so tired and sore." And stated saying, "Wow, I feel wonderful!"
All of that just to live 2 or 3 more years than someone who doesn't!

No. All that because it makes her feel great.

[Image: Abooie.png]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)