/ / /

[Brunswick Pro Bowling] Another let down... [4/10]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-24-2011, 01:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-06-2011 08:57 PM by Clemens.)
Brunswick Pro Bowling

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTvGOjW6M9f0AZ6Zt2juw3...oIJTofN2r6]
  • Official site http://www.cravegames.com/BrunswickProBowling/
  • Developer: Farsight Studios
  • Genre: Bowling/Sports
  • Alternative game name: N/A
  • Players: 4
  • Xbox Live supported?: Yes
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: Everyone

Brunswick Pro Bowling - The good
  • Graphics are good
  • The concept for a realistic bowling atmosphere is there
  • Has real league play up to 4 players, so you could have real leagues each weekend like the real thing

Brunswick Pro Bowling - The not so good
  • Controls need a lot of work
  • Physics need a lot of work
  • Needs a patch to be more accurate
  • Once those 3 things are fixed, we'd have a real bowling game

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Story
Not really a story mode, but there is a career mode. The career mode allows you to do league play, tournaments and rival play.

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Kinect experience
Unfortunately the game still needs work. I figured after the initial delay they were taking their time to make it perfect, this was not the case. I'm not sure what the delay was for but it definitely had nothing to do with the game itself. I haven't cracked the code, so to speak, on how to throw the ball.

Typically when I bowl, I use my left hand to hold up the ball, and throw with my right. In this game you can't do that. Your left hand/arm is primarily for aiming. So if for years you have used your left hand to hold up a ball, you are going to have issues with this game.

Next is throwing. There's some formula to it, but I don't get it. Sometimes the ball gets stuck to your hand and it takes forever to get it to release. I tried everything, shooting lower, standing still, stepping and throwing, even sidearm. Nothing worked.

Lastly, is physics. You can whip the ball as hard as possible, and it always measures it at 19-20MPH. If you bowl normal, it's like 10-12MPH and the ball barely moves. This really needs to be fixed.

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Graphics
The graphics are fine, nothing spectacular, normal for an xbox game.

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Gameplay
The actual concept of how they set everything up is great, however the controls make the game suffer. If Farsight would of used Rare's controls, this would be the best bowling game ever, but they used their algorithm and it needs work.

Brunswick Pro Bowling - Multiplayer options
There is xbox live head to head, although its not even worth playing to be honest. Once they fix the controls, if ever, then it'd be cool.

Conclusion
Overall, save your money. Unfortunately I'm out $50 USD due to this rubbish. When and if it gets patched, I will re-review and update you, otherwise if you absolutely must try a new kinect game, then that's your decision.

More Brunswick Pro Bowling:
[order info] [news] [screenshots] [alternate review] [achievements]

[Image: TheZeeMan]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-27-2011, 02:11 PM
RE: [Brunswick Pro Bowling] Another let down... [4/10]
Indeed guys, the video does not help this game at ALL. Hopefully, there'll be an update soon for the bowling enthusiast to enjoy this game anyway. Because, there is potential, but not with those ads Tongue.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-27-2011, 02:40 PM
(02-27-2011 02:00 PM)meistroracer Wrote:  SleepySleepyIs the video over? I can't not believe how slow this game is compared to Kinect Sports Bowling. It can not be that slow. I don't have the game but.....WWTT?(What were they think?)

As frustrating Kinect sports bowling is, it is faster and better than this. How sad to say this? Am I wrong to say this, even though I do not have the game? But wow.

It reminds of an old Simpsons episode where they were spoofing boring video games and had one called "Lee Travino's Putting Challenge".

I think the problem is they just tried to make it too realistic and games like that don't translate well when to much realistic detail is added. I am willing to employ a large suspension-of-disbelief (i.e. standing up in a raft and surfing on clouds) if the fun is there. Not the other way around.
02-27-2011, 02:45 PM
Knowing me. i will get the game inspite of the reviews. I might like it than again...LOL

Now ZeeMan...if I do get it. Don't say you didn't warn us? Because with your review and many others, you have warned us. LOL, but if we don't get it. How can they improve on it? Don't they Crave need our money to get the updates it solely needs?

[Image: meistroracer.jpg]
02-27-2011, 09:58 PM
LOL Yes meistro, I don't recommend spending money on this game yet lol

03-05-2011, 01:45 PM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2011 03:05 PM by meistroracer.)
Well ZeeMan...I didn't listen. LOL I got the game. Well, my parents bought the game for me. First thing that it did when I started to play. I received and update. 368Kb. I do not know if you received an update when you got the game and I do not know what it improved or what stayed the same.

The menu - Yikes. What a mess!! It took me forever to figure out. The only selection that was pretty easy is the quick play. LOL

But what was neat imo, while it was loading it was displaying what you need to do to aim, deliver and/or to change balls and also where you stand and of course pause the game.

I finally managed to get into the career mode last night. I had to do it a couple of times to get the right avatar that I wanted. Now that part needs redone. They should have spaced those selections out. And the hand is to quick to grab a slot too. This is where I had the most problem. I was getting the wrong person.

Once I finally got the person I wanted then it went from there, you can select from League, Tournament, Events, and Pro Shop.

Well, being new to the game. I chose the Events, there you have 3 options. You start from the top to the bottom. The top is Beginners Event or something and the fee is free...because you have no money to start out with and you need to start somewhere.

This is going to be confusing, but let me correct something. The first thing that I did was go to Quick play and to figure out the mechanics of the game. Once, I figured it out my scores where getting better. My first game has always been my worse game.

Right now, I can't comment on anything more about the game. I just got it and I'm wanting to play some more. I ended up third place on the Beginners event. Not a happy camper here. LOL I knew I should have done a quick play or even a practice mode before I started the event. But what is so cool with the career mode, if you are placed like tree tournament after you done the game save automatically. You can either continue or stop there and go do something else. Well I shut it down last night to go to bed, and this morning. I was able to continue my beginners event from the bracket that I was in.

It maybe slow, but realism is there and it unexplainable.
my vote for this game is a 5/10 <- It may change as I progress through the game.

*Edit*
TheZeeman - You're review was dead on. Now I am changing my review to 4/10 or even less right now. What happen? the beginners event is not right. You have a tree or bracket of players that you have to bowl against. I get all the up to the semi-finals. Manage to beat A.i. by 5pins very close game. I thought it was supposed to continue to the Finals. It didn't happen. Next thing I know, I get a message stating I got 1st place. WTH. I have not played in the Finals. Ok...Zeeman...yes you have warned me, but in spite of these mishaps I see a lot of potential here. And another thing, if this is supposed to be like real pro bowling. Aren't you supposed to change lanes after you bowl? Maybe if I get further in to the game, this may happen.

One thing I do know, the game is going to be a lot harder. For example, I lost the first time on the beginners event, place third. I went right back played it again. This time the A.I. scores are a little higher than before. So they are adjusting to how you play, well somewhat. In the beginners mode, you are going to see how the A.I. going to throw the ball in some situation.

Here's another thing, A.I. in this game do get splits compared to the AI in KS-Bowling. I have not seen A.I. in KSB ever get a split not once which makes that game unrealistic imo. Oh..but in KSB, it does circle on your scoreboard a split like your supposed too. In BPB, it does not do this.

03-05-2011, 08:03 PM
Haha meistro, no problem. They haven't released an update for it yet, I believe the patch on-disc is just some minor update. I did email crave and ask them how they let it pass testing TongueSo hopefully in due time they will release a real patch for it, it does have potential to be a great game if they can get the controls down.

03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
TheZeeMan....in spite of the bad reviews. I like the game. Regardless of the flaws. Yeah, I know, but the Pins are so realistic I just want to take one hope as a trophy. It's a game. Oh...you do have to the option to turn on or off the oil condition.

oh and btw, the replays seems to be a lot in between bowls, but if you watch in the mini window upper left and showing a cartoonish of how pins is going down. I like watching those. Oh..and how are you supposed to bypass the A.I when it up to bowl. The icon is too small to really get to it before it starts to bowl.

Like I said, I am over looking some flaws of the game and really enjoying it more. The more I play the more I know. Another thing, I can't seem to keep a consistent speed of the ball. I don't know. It's probably me that is the problem...NO way!!!! LOL

03-08-2011, 09:08 PM
I have been enjoying myself. Reviews do not always mirror one's opinions on games, which is why i took a chance and am happy that I did. Yes, this game needs a few things patched, but that aside, it has been enjoyable for the most part, if patches come out then it could be great. Right now, I say it's decent 8/10.
03-09-2011, 03:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2011 03:43 AM by jc1975.)
My parents purchased a 360 with Kinect after playing Kinect Sports at my place and loving the bowling. After a few family game nights (me heading over to their place and playing Kinect bowling) my Dad saw that Brunswick Pro Bowling had come out. I warned him about the game after reading what I've read, but he got it anyways. I expected to really hate this game, but actually I liked the gameplay a bit more than Kinect Sports. I didnt care for the menus, or the player selection etc. Kinect Sports is much easier to get everyone logged in with their gamer profiles. It takes a quick play or two to get used to the controls, but I was pleasantly surprised, I actually felt like I had a bit more control over where the ball went than Kinect Sports Bowling. This is definitely a more serious game with a more serious feel. I didnt have any problems with releasing the ball, neither did my dad, but my mom did have that issue a few times. Overall was a smooth bowling experience. I didnt care for how the scoreboard was set up. The frames are VERY small, and as mentioned earlier, it doesn't score splits properly.

We only played a bunch of quickplay games. So I cannot comment on anything other than the actual bowling. I would like to try out the career mode and give that a go. If you like achievements, there are only 12 of them I believe for a total of 1000 gamerscore. I glanced at them really quick and they appear to only be attainable via career mode play.

First play review....id give it a 6/10. it feels more real....but the atmosphere a bit boring compared to the jazzed up atmosphere of bowling in Kinect sports.

I fully expected to give it like a 2/10. I'm happy it wasnt as terrible as I thought it would be. Not sure I'll buy it, but I might borrow my parents copy to check out the career mode, then who knows.

[Image: Aanith.jpg]
03-09-2011, 01:45 PM
(03-09-2011 03:33 AM)jc1975 Wrote:  ...
First play review....id give it a 6/10. it feels more real....but the atmosphere a bit boring compared to the jazzed up atmosphere of bowling in Kinect sports.

I fully expected to give it like a 2/10. I'm happy it wasnt as terrible as I thought it would be. Not sure I'll buy it, but I might borrow my parents copy to check out the career mode, then who knows.

Wow thanks for your story, good to hear your experience was one of relief! Hopefully things will be even further improved when the rumored accuracy update will be done for Kinect.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [Brunswick Pro Bowling] Meistroracer's review [6/10] meistroracer 1 176 Yesterday 02:33 AM
Last Post: jc1975

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)