01-16-2011, 10:01 PM
RE: Dance Central 2 Get Up To Get Down!
Only thing is to remove the MTV logo TongueThey won't be a part of #2 Big Grin

[Image: TheZeeMan.png]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2011, 10:33 PM
(01-16-2011 10:01 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  Only thing is to remove the MTV logo TongueThey won't be a part of #2 Big Grin

NO WAY!!! i didnt know that Undecided

[Image: tumblr_lewefjYqV21qffkomo1_400.png]
!!GameTag"ZappyGetzOff10"!!
01-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Really? Wow that's just too bad. Why are they no longer part of the Dance Central Deal Z?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.png]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-17-2011, 06:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2011 06:01 AM by TheZeeMan.)
HMX is independent now. Viacom/MTV let them go in the sale, MTV is a subsidiary of Viacom and was just handling their licensing anyway, but I'm sure they also had a say in what music HMX could pick...so now no more big brother and DC2 is going to be unbelievable Tongue

01-17-2011, 06:03 AM
But with MTV no longer being affiliated do you think DC2 might not be able to get as good of songs?
01-17-2011, 06:06 AM
HMX said it isn't going to be an issue so we'll see because I thought the same thing, but then I think about GH2 and that game probably had the best soundtrack overall from all the GH games and they had no help at that time either.

01-17-2011, 06:26 AM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2011 06:28 AM by dirtyvu.)
Harmonix on their own cannot get the royalty rates that Viacom can get. Royalties was one of the reasons why Viacom dumped Harmonix. So who knows, maybe Harmonix might have to go back to doing covers like they did with Karaoke Revolution and GH1/GH2. KR is more because Konami is cheap. GH1/GH2 is cost too but also because covers are easier to map notes.
01-17-2011, 04:35 PM
Maybe, there's a crappy developer called 745 Studios and somehow they managed to get exclusive licensing to Kid Rock, Dave Matthews Band and Eric Clapton. Their parent company makes introduction guitars for like kids/beginners.

So if their crap can get some exclusive licensing I'm sure HMX will have no problem as they already made a name for themselves. I think this is more widespread as well as they don't have to stick with whichever labels MTV signed, they can go after basically everyone, BMG, Columbia Records, Sony Tongue, etc etc

01-17-2011, 09:15 PM
(01-17-2011 06:03 AM)BuckeyeNut4Life Wrote:  But with MTV no longer being affiliated do you think DC2 might not be able to get as good of songs?
i dont think so. i mean mtv really dont own any of the songs thats on dance central its up to the record companies....rightz?

[Image: tumblr_lewefjYqV21qffkomo1_400.png]
!!GameTag"ZappyGetzOff10"!!
01-17-2011, 09:56 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2011 10:11 PM by TheZeeMan.)
(01-17-2011 09:15 PM)ZappyGetzOff10 Wrote:  i dont think so. i mean mtv really dont own any of the songs thats on dance central its up to the record companies....rightz?

Well usually the artists do a contract with labels. Honestly though, Viacom is a TV label, like Warner Bros, etc. Just because MTV is for music, you don't get your album produced by MTV. So I'm not sure what, if anything, HMX is losing. My guess is that's what is taking so long anyway to license these songs. They have to bend over backwards just to get an artist to deal with them, let alone Viacom/MTV were probably giving them certain ones they could choose from.

Viacom also owns Nickelodeon, which is why for rock band, iCarly, Spongebob, Naked Brothers Band, etc were pushed onto it. So now they have more open choice, since no one is telling them what songs to use, besides us fans, so it should be a complete better experience.

The only competition I see that HMX has, is unfortunately Dance Paradise. Not because its going to be a better game, but they are partnered with Universal, which is huge...Universal has many sub-record labels, so more than likely because they already have contracts with those artists it's simple to add their songs to the game, they don't even need permission lol

Universal has quite a large inventory if you take a peek here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Uni...up_artists

That would be the only thing they could outdo HMX on...however, if the game sucks like I think it will and I had such high hopes for it, the music will be the only thing that lets them hang on.
And I forgot to mention Universal owns the majority of Motown...so like to really just make everyone want their games for music, they could pump out like 80+ songs (if it can hold that many) including everything from motown to today...it'd be an instant buy for most people even if the game sucked lol

01-17-2011, 10:53 PM (This post was last modified: 01-17-2011 10:55 PM by dirtyvu.)
There's a lot that goes into volume licensing. But in the industry, there's a lot of you scratch my back, I'll scratch your back. We'll feature your music on CBS TV shows, Nickelodeon, The CW TV shows, etc. if you give us a much lower rate to license your music. The music featured at the end of Dawson's Creek or Charmed or whatever show was priceless exposure for the band.

745 Studios is a different story. They came out of First Act which had a long history and good reputation in musical instruments and music tutorials. They just had no experience with video games. So when they came to Eric Clapton et al. saying that they were developing a game that could help teach people how to play an instrument, they jumped on.

It's all about connections. Hopefully Harmonix secured enough good will and connections with management people in these businesses so that they can get the deals they need so that we don't have to pay too much.
01-17-2011, 11:24 PM
(01-17-2011 06:26 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  GH1/GH2 is cost too but also because covers are easier to map notes.

Where in the hell did you get that, man? How could a copy of a song be any easier to chart? Both songs are still the same notes and with RB3 supporting pro guitars with actual chords, I doubt HMX will ever go back to covers. They've made a name for themselves now. We aren't in the GH1 and 2 days anymore. Smile

[Image: HazyCloud.png]
http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
01-18-2011, 12:53 AM
(01-17-2011 11:24 PM)HazyCloud Wrote:  
(01-17-2011 06:26 AM)dirtyvu Wrote:  GH1/GH2 is cost too but also because covers are easier to map notes.

Where in the hell did you get that, man? How could a copy of a song be any easier to chart? Both songs are still the same notes and with RB3 supporting pro guitars with actual chords, I doubt HMX will ever go back to covers. They've made a name for themselves now. We aren't in the GH1 and 2 days anymore. Smile

Because in a cover, they have full control over the rhythm of the notes and they can redo any music and singing so that the notes are at regular intervals. You never noticed how many incremental notes were used ever since they went to authentic tracks? It's most telling on live tracks where bands cannot perform to a metronome beat (because humans aren't machines that can precisely match a beat). A lot of real tracks have the band use artistic freestyle to make the song more interesting.

Compare charting between the old GH1/GH2 days to any Rock Band version. Before, it was very beat precise in timing. Now, they have to match the game notes to real tracks and thus, the gaps between notes are irregular.

Not saying that covers are better. ..
01-18-2011, 01:45 AM
My only beef with covers/originals is that with covers, we could have a TON of music. Instead the newest song they can obtain is from like 2-3 years ago. With dancing games especially, it's all about what's current, unfortunately bars and clubs play mainstream most of the time besides mixing in some non-mainstream. I think covers would especially fine for a dancing game, a band game? No, it definitely needs the originals.

I have a feeling DC2 will take it to the next level like MJ is going to, and allow one player to sing while another dances at the same time. It'd be nice to dance and sing at the same time, but anyone's who ever done it, it's just not possible unless you tone the moves down to like a simple sidestep. So with that said, if the music matches for the most part, what do we need original voices for, besides T-Pain since his voice is sweet but anyway lol

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Dance Paradise (vs. Dance Central) TheZeeMan 35 3,252 Today 08:07 AM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Dance Central + FACEBOOK = BULLSH*T. ZappyGetzOff10 21 835 01-27-2011 12:23 AM
Last Post: meistroracer
  Dance Central DLC on sale next week! TheZeeMan 3 297 01-21-2011 07:57 AM
Last Post: ZappyGetzOff10
  NEW YEAR, Bollywood Dance DJMAZaka007 3 527 01-16-2011 04:54 PM
Last Post: pigpen81
  Vote Now Please.[Dance Central] ZappyGetzOff10 2 256 01-11-2011 06:10 PM
Last Post: ZappyGetzOff10
  Dance Central KinectYesMoveNo 15 1,099 01-10-2011 05:34 PM
Last Post: GoulashBrother

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Order Kinect + Kinect Adventures here!