/ / v /

Did I break my Kinect sensor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-05-2012, 04:53 AM
Happy New Year to everyone!

I just got the XBox 360 for my kids and setup the kinect sensor for them. And of course, like usual didn't read the manual before hooking up everything! So when I placed the sensor on our entertainment cabinet it seemed like it was looking straight ahead instead of being angled slightly up and so I physically forced the sensor up! To my horror, instead of expecting a smooth glide of the sensor on the pivot it made an awful click and I immediately realized something was terribly wrong with what I had done. I look at the manual now which clearly says not to manually adjust the sensor.

Anyway, everything is working fine and the sensor does seem to be moving up and down fine by itself. I am just wondering if anyone thinks that I may have broken the sensor or gear mechanism inside since it made that clicking sound? Also, my sensor has a slight play on the pivot, meaning I can passively move the sensor about 1/4 inch up and down so that it appears slightly loose. Is this normal? I am wondering if this play came about because I may have broken something inside. Can someone check their kinect and see if this looseness of the sensor head is normal? I hate to be making a big deal about this, but having spent $200 on this gizmo and then some for games, I kinda feel like an idiot, not having read the manual. Thanks in advance.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-05-2012, 05:54 AM
RE: Did I break my Kinect sensor?
do not physically adjust your kinect anymore!!! Smile

it should be fine. the kinect is pretty durable. just don't do it anymore. there is always some minor give but as long as the kinect can still tilt and can still see you and works in games, you're fine.

in the kinect tuner, you can adjust the kinect's angle by selecting "tilt up" or "tilt down".

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
01-05-2012, 07:07 AM
Thanks, I appreciate it.
01-05-2012, 08:20 PM
(01-05-2012 04:53 AM)easygoer Wrote:  Happy New Year to everyone!

I just got the XBox 360 for my kids and setup the kinect sensor for them. And of course, like usual didn't read the manual before hooking up everything! So when I placed the sensor on our entertainment cabinet it seemed like it was looking straight ahead instead of being angled slightly up and so I physically forced the sensor up! To my horror, instead of expecting a smooth glide of the sensor on the pivot it made an awful click and I immediately realized something was terribly wrong with what I had done. I look at the manual now which clearly says not to manually adjust the sensor.

Anyway, everything is working fine and the sensor does seem to be moving up and down fine by itself. I am just wondering if anyone thinks that I may have broken the sensor or gear mechanism inside since it made that clicking sound? Also, my sensor has a slight play on the pivot, meaning I can passively move the sensor about 1/4 inch up and down so that it appears slightly loose. Is this normal? I am wondering if this play came about because I may have broken something inside. Can someone check their kinect and see if this looseness of the sensor head is normal? I hate to be making a big deal about this, but having spent $200 on this gizmo and then some for games, I kinda feel like an idiot, not having read the manual. Thanks in advance.

i did the same thing when i first got it, i tried to adjust it myself and it did the clicking sounds.

it still works fine, itsjust the plastic gears slipping.
01-05-2012, 08:24 PM
Great thanks! Makes me feel better. Does you kinect sensor have a slight amount of up and down play on the pivot?
01-05-2012, 10:17 PM
(01-05-2012 08:24 PM)easygoer Wrote:  Great thanks! Makes me feel better. Does you kinect sensor have a slight amount of up and down play on the pivot?

yes it does even while its off right now and its worked 100% perfect.

i wouldn't worry at all its not broken.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Sensor at 7 feet high Bajamex99 2 332 12-31-2011 02:21 AM
Last Post: Corellianrogue
  Sensor not facing straight forward KNOPF007 2 536 12-04-2011 08:40 PM
Last Post: KNOPF007
Sad Kinect Sensor Wall Mount Placement...can't calibrate left-right angle! Gilkissin 3 4,872 01-17-2011 08:35 PM
Last Post: dirtyvu
  Does sensor have to be Even with TV screen? Casmi 2 2,750 12-30-2010 06:54 PM
Last Post: Casmi
  Kinect sensor software? sam8dam 1 2,807 12-30-2010 05:30 AM
Last Post: TheZeeMan
  Sensor microphone doesn't register sound from TV RODMAN 4 2,759 12-29-2010 07:29 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan