We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / /

Fighters Uncaged Kinect Review

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Votes - 3.33 Average
Fighters Uncaged Kinect Review
11-10-2010, 11:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2011 08:38 PM by Clemens.)
Thumbs Up Fighters Uncaged Kinect Review
Fighters Uncaged

[Image: 517Tp633h0L._SL500_AA300_.jpg]
  • Official site http://fighters-uncaged.us.ubi.com
  • Developer: Ubisoft
  • Genre: Action, Fighting, Sim
  • Rating: T for Teen
  • Alternative game name: --
  • Players: 2
  • Xbox Live supported?: Yes
  • Uses avatars?: No
  • Age group: 7-50

Fighters Uncaged - The good
  • First and (so far) only fighting game for Kinect
  • Decent music
  • Thorough tutorial
  • Great workout

Fighters Uncaged - The not so good
  • No plot whatsoever
  • Inability to change character
  • Complexity of play
  • Facial recognition a PITA

Fighters Uncaged - Story
Maybe I just missed it when I first started playing, but there doesn't appear to be any plot. You start off as a guy training to fight, but they don't explain why. Not that it really matters, but it would be nice to have some sort of back story. Why is this guy going around beating up people? Is he trying to fight his way up the ladder to a drug kingpin who killed his mother?? The only clue the game gives is that there are different "leagues", so I'm guessing your character is trying to improve his ranks in the local street fighting league...?

Fighters Uncaged - Kinect experience
This is where the facial recognition can be a pain. You have to hold a lamp right next to your face in order for the game to progress to the start screen. You're literally stuck, no way to bypass that part. It''s not really even necessary for the game, as far as I can tell. The infrared tells where your head is, and the game doesn't take any pictures of you, so what's the big idea? Maybe this is only a problem for dark skinned people, but I wish Ubisoft would have thought of that.

The only other Kinect-specific issue may be the combo speed. When you're executing your combos, make sure you don't get too excited and do them too fast; don't get sloppy with it. The lag is not a problem, but the clarity of your movements can be. It's easy to get carried away and start flailing around, but the game won't know what you're doing to the exact degree you need it to.

Fighters Uncaged - Graphics
The graphics are good, the characters aren't too tubular, and the scenes/settings are pretty cool and realistic. The menu interface is easy to navigate, though the text can be a little small. You'll need a big screen TV.

Fighters Uncaged - Gameplay
It starts off with a thinly veiled tutorial round, where you are training in a gym. It's not very thorough, but it gets the job done. By the time it's finished, you'll know the basic moves, and can choose to go back later and learn the more complex combos on your own. The training really gets you amped for the game too.

The first few villains are easy enough to beat, though if you're of average fitness level like me, you'll get winded after about the 2nd round. Or maybe I'm just really into it, I don't know, lol. The thing to focus on mastering while you're playing these easy guys is how to distance yourself. You'll need to know this in order to make any of your strikes connect in the upper leagues. Blocking is also essential. You will tire yourself out needlessly if you don't master distancing and blocking. There are 3 distances:

Close up
Medium Range
Long Range

and various ways of getting to each. You can't actually move your body forward and backward, you have to use certain combos to move. The game includes a guide, study it well. The best combo I've found is to get medium range, punch, uppercut, headbutt, then kick. After that you'll be at long range and can catch your breath for a minute while you figure out what his next move is going to be, so you can block it.

One of the things that might throw you off at first is that your on-screen character can do floor spin-kicks and other moves that you aren't actually doing in real life. This is accomplished by special moves, but the game kind of glosses over them. Practice makes perfect. The other thing to note is to turn your fan on, grab a chair, and a bottle of water before starting. I doubt you'll be able to do more than 4 rounds without needing a rest.

There is no way to change how you look in the game; you're always a guy in a hoodie and jeans. That doesn't bother me too much, but you'd think they'd have designed at least one more, maybe a woman? Hah, I should know better. The villains are well designed, though their "themes" are all over the place. One guy looks like an italian mobster, another a bike gang member, a pimp, etc. I guess they're all standard urban creatures, but again, it'd be nice to have a plot. Maybe show your character progressing through town, fighting different styles of people as he goes. Just.. something to tie everything together.

Fighters Uncaged - Multiplayer options
Tag team is something I have yet to try. Independent fighting is exciting enough at this point; I'll get my friends to try it sometime.

Conclusion
Overall I highly recommend this game, especially to anyone looking to get fit without thinking about it, or to anyone who enjoys simulation games.

More Fighters Uncaged
[news] [trailer] [gameplay] [order here]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 04:31 PM
RE: [Fighters Uncaged] Review: Not for the weak! [8/10]
Heya Victoria, thanks for your review!

Your grade surprised me a bit after reading your review - you seemed to have come across more than a few annoying deficiencies in the game (I expected a 6/10 - 7/10). Anyways, interesting review!

Are you a boxer or fighter yourself? How do you feel this game 'is a workout' compared to other Kinect Games?

Thanks for finding the achievements as well, I'll put them up on the website too later this week.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Hey! Thanks for the great site WinkMaybe I'm just generous? Even with the problems the game has, this is definitely a "Must Own". The annoyances are not great enough to prevent me from playing on a regular basis, even when I'm dead sore (my legs hate me for that)!

I'm not a boxer but I am a dancer, so I do have a grasp on stamina and choreography. I feel that this game could probably give a good warm-up workout to a professional fighter. There's no match of course for real sparring, but in a pinch, this definitely invokes some of the same adrenaline rushes that a real-life fight would have, I imagine. It's not only a muscular workout; your heart rate goes up because you really don't want this guy to beat you! When a loss does happen, I snap out of it and realize I'm fine and uninjured in my living room, lol. It's different from a standard controller fighting game, like Mortal Kombat or Street Fighter. To me, those games are more about storyline, level progression, and fast finger reflexes, but I don't actually insert myself into the game with the urgency of really fighting for my life -- Fighters Uncaged comes close.
11-12-2010, 06:22 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2010 06:23 PM by NO SUPER POWERS.)
Cool, i read that the game is good if you learn the moves, but if you just go into it as a fighting game and do anything for fighting then it wont work, The specific moves are there for a reason, if you dont do the moves properly the game wont work.

Think this is a big part of the review flaws for this game, much like some of the other reviews on other sites. Not learning the control system properly. But once you learn those moves the game is great and fun to play

[Image: NO+SUPER+POWERS.png]
SHARE THE KINECT Heart
11-12-2010, 08:42 PM
(11-12-2010 06:22 PM)NO SUPER POWERS Wrote:  Cool, i read that the game is good if you learn the moves, but if you just go into it as a fighting game and do anything for fighting then it wont work, The specific moves are there for a reason, if you dont do the moves properly the game wont work.

Think this is a big part of the review flaws for this game, much like some of the other reviews on other sites. Not learning the control system properly. But once you learn those moves the game is great and fun to play

I was wondering that about Kinect reviews in general. Like if a reviewer is crap at the game they blame Kinect rather than their own skills. Afterall, body control skills are a lot different than joypad skills. Plus, in regards to fighting games, some moves are hard even on joypad. I think I've only ever managed to pull off Zangief's spinning pile driver once or twice ever since Street Fighter 2 first came out, lol! (Although I haven't exactly played as him much.) By the way, how do you do leg sweep moves in Fighters Uncaged if you don't really leg sweep? (I haven't got it but I'm plannning on at least renting it.)
11-12-2010, 08:53 PM
When I was playing, it was working fine except when I tried to do fast combos. It didn't pick them up, so to me you have to fight more in a timely manner...I think they purposely do this as well so you don't kill yourself because the game is very tiring physically. The paid guys that just "test" games out will use it to fight like Wii Boxing where you just have your arms flying all over the place and yes it won't work, so they will blame on it Kinect.

I didn't progress that far enough through training to learn every move, but I think it was a crouch with your leg out if I recall.

[Image: TheZeeMan]
11-12-2010, 09:08 PM
(11-12-2010 08:53 PM)TheZeeMan Wrote:  When I was playing, it was working fine except when I tried to do fast combos. It didn't pick them up, so to me you have to fight more in a timely manner...I think they purposely do this as well so you don't kill yourself because the game is very tiring physically. The paid guys that just "test" games out will use it to fight like Wii Boxing where you just have your arms flying all over the place and yes it won't work, so they will blame on it Kinect.

I didn't progress that far enough through training to learn every move, but I think it was a crouch with your leg out if I recall.

That makes sense. So basically you have to do a bit of Russian dancing? Lol!
11-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Basically, I think it just looks for that motion then applies it to the game. Somehow my kid was doing like the irish jig and he kept roundhousing lol

[Image: TheZeeMan]
11-13-2010, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 11-13-2010 01:07 AM by ywith.)
Hi guys, I'm getting the game for christmas (as well as my first ever xbox), but the poor reviews I find quite worrying. Is the game really that bad as the reviewers say. I remember when grand slam tennis for the wii (my current favourite game ever) and it got slated for not being one to one. However, if it were one to one only professional players could play. So the not being exactly one-to-one doesn't seem that bad as long as quite a few of the controls are at least near to the real move you are trying to perform.

As far as reviewers comparing to Wii boxing, with wii boxing you can beat someone with just rapid punching and it requires no skill at blocking, taking your time etc. In any TV boxing match you don't see fast punching constantly, so I don't see a problem with the slow moves you have to perform on the kinect, within reason. Like a few quick combos after some slow jabs may be useful I imagine when the opponent is on the ropes so to speak

So what I'm asking is someone to tell me that this game is actually fun to play as I think the people reviewing are the ones with Xboxes only wanting a big storyline or big first person shooters. I don't think I am the standard gamer as some of the best rating games I play I have thought were mediocre (super mario galaxy), while poor rated games I have enjoyed such as the harry potter 6 (so much fun mixing potions with a wii remote. lol)

Has anyone apart from Victoria actually brought the game, and those of you who have rented, have any of you wanted to buy the game afterwards?

I'm new to the Xbox 360 scene, so don't know anyone on Xbox live yet. So please add me (Gamertag:ywith), as would like to have someone to play kinect games and other xbox 360 games with at Christmas.
11-13-2010, 01:59 AM
(11-12-2010 08:42 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  By the way, how do you do leg sweep moves in Fighters Uncaged if you don't really leg sweep? (I haven't got it but I'm plannning on at least renting it.)

You move your leg out, to the back, and across. Like drawing a letter "C" around yourself.
11-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I know this is a Kinect Website and I'm a owner of both PS3 Move and Xbox Kinect. Has anybody played the PS3 Game The Fight and can you compare the two games?
11-19-2010, 04:57 AM
(11-18-2010 05:50 PM)Chaos744 Wrote:  I know this is a Kinect Website and I'm a owner of both PS3 Move and Xbox Kinect. Has anybody played the PS3 Game The Fight and can you compare the two games?

I haven't played either but I've noticed that both games have got similar reviews. By that I don't just mean the score but also that some reviews say both games are crap and don't work properly whereas others say that both games are OK if you play them properly including some reviews, at least for Fighters Uncaged as I've seen more reviews of that, that even contradict the others and say that the controls work OK, like the reviews here. My advice would be to rent them both, I'm planning on renting Fighters Uncaged when I've sorted out the room and can actually play Kinect games properly, lol!
11-19-2010, 01:30 PM
(11-19-2010 04:57 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  
(11-18-2010 05:50 PM)Chaos744 Wrote:  I know this is a Kinect Website and I'm a owner of both PS3 Move and Xbox Kinect. Has anybody played the PS3 Game The Fight and can you compare the two games?

I haven't played either but I've noticed that both games have got similar reviews. By that I don't just mean the score but also that some reviews say both games are crap and don't work properly whereas others say that both games are OK if you play them properly including some reviews, at least for Fighters Uncaged as I've seen more reviews of that, that even contradict the others and say that the controls work OK, like the reviews here. My advice would be to rent them both, I'm planning on renting Fighters Uncaged when I've sorted out the room and can actually play Kinect games properly, lol!

That's what I would love to do - but I'm stationed in Germany and I can only purchase games as there is no rental system out there. So far I'm liking the Kinect a whole lot more than the PS Move so I'll probably go with Fighters Uncaged. Happy Gaming!
12-01-2010, 05:03 PM
(11-19-2010 01:30 PM)Chaos744 Wrote:  That's what I would love to do - but I'm stationed in Germany and I can only purchase games as there is no rental system out there.

I don't know in what hicktown you are stationed, but you can rent games in nearly all video rental stores. Maybe they aren't piled with Kinect or Move games yet...
12-01-2010, 11:17 PM (This post was last modified: 12-02-2010 12:09 AM by HazyCloud.)
Does Germany not rent out games?

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout Kinect Review TheZeeMan 4 6,609 Today 05:25 PM
Last Post: TheZeeMan
  Carnival Games Kinect Review legreffer 13 6,077 Yesterday 02:53 PM
Last Post: legreffer
  Adrenalin Misfits Kinect Review TheZeeMan 3 5,167 07-08-2011 10:04 AM
Last Post: james punnett
  Motion Sports Kinect Review TheZeeMan 13 12,868 07-01-2011 03:10 AM
Last Post: Mrzocor
  Fantastic Pets Kinect Review TheZeeMan 1 1,177 06-22-2011 05:39 PM
Last Post: amillermba
Thumbs Up Michael Jackson: The Experience Kinect Review Corellianrogue 13 2,624 06-11-2011 02:41 PM
Last Post: meistroracer