We offer you
everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Kinect Hookup

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Kinect Hookup
12-11-2011, 01:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 02:09 AM by KJones911.)
Kinect Hookup
My XBOX 360 is on the opposite side of the room from my tv, it is hooked up via a long HDMI cable ran up the wall and through the attic then back down the wall to the back of the tv. Is there a way to hook up a Kinect in this set up?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-11-2011, 04:13 AM
RE: Kinect Hookup
they have made xbox kinect extension cables, however im not sure if there is more then one lenght. you might need more then one so if you ask me, move your xbox closer to the TV.

its free.
12-11-2011, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2011 06:51 PM by dirtyvu.)
(12-11-2011 01:59 AM)KJones911 Wrote:  My XBOX 360 is on the opposite side of the room from my tv, it is hooked up via a long HDMI cable ran up the wall and through the attic then back down the wall to the back of the tv. Is there a way to hook up a Kinect in this set up?

you're going to need an active USB extension cable. the key word is ACTIVE. you cannot use a passive cable as passive cables can be no longer than 6 feet for full reliability. the cheapest place to buy them is at monoprice.com.

Note that you're going to need a Kinect power supply in this situation regardless of whether your have a 360 (the old one) or the 360S (the newer one). The reason is Microsoft did not bundle a power supply for the 360S/Kinect packages because they assumed that you would use the 360S AUX cable and connect directly to a 360S that is near the Kinect. But since you would be using a USB extension cable, you'll be using USB rather than the AUX cable (just like how regular 360 systems use Kinect via USB).

[Image: en-US151_Xbox360_Kinect_Power_Supply_3VJ-00001.png]
So you would plug the Kinect into the female end of the power supply. Then connect the male end to the active USB cable which then runs to the other side of the room where your 360 is.

So if you bought a 360/Kinect bundle (which doesn't come with the power supply), you will have to buy a power supply from Microsoft or try out a risky fake power supply.

here's a 16 ft cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
[Image: 87511.jpg]

here's a 32 ft cable:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produc...1&format=2
[Image: 61491.jpg]

they also have 49 ft, 65 ft, and 82 ft cables that are kinect compatible.

if you want alternatives to what monoprice has, there's the IOGear USB 2.0 Active Boost Extension (39 feet) which is known to work as well.

if you're going outside these cables and hunting on your own, make sure the cable is active and make sure it's a USB 2.0 cable.

if you want more information, there's 4 threads on the subject at avsforum.com Xbox subforum which is where I go for all my audio/video questions.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
12-11-2011, 11:58 PM
Thank you "dirtyvu" for the information, that suggestion will work.