everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

My kinect weight loss journey

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
My kinect weight loss journey
02-08-2011, 04:50 AM
RE: My kinect weight loss journey
I figured I should come back on and update! I am down to 159.5 pounds; almost 25 pounds lost in a month and it is really showing. For my almost 25 pound loss present, I joined planet fitness! I am still dancing and walking at least 5 days a week and plan to go to the gym at least 2 days a week.

Another huge accomplishment (not kinect related, but whatever)... I quit smoking cigarettes and now "vape" using an e-cigarette! I really want to be healthy for myself and my kids and just losing weight wasn't going to fully do it! I haven't smoked a cigarette since Jan 31 (one week ago). Woot!

One last little thing- I am ranked 45th on the dance central leaderboards on poker face!!! How cool is that?! Lol    
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2011, 05:00 AM
Wow, that's really good, keep going !

Did you get ea sports active 2 ?
I played Your Shape for 3 weeks but i get ea sports last friday and i have to say that i prefer ea sports.

[Image: legreffer.jpg]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
 Thanks given by: Kendrab2315
02-08-2011, 05:21 AM
(02-08-2011 05:00 AM)legreffer Wrote:  Wow, that's really good, keep going !

I played Your Shape for 3 weeks but i get ea sports last friday and i have to say that i prefer ea sports.
I didn't end up getting ea active... I got zumba and sports (so I could play with my 5 year old). Zumba is HARD and makes me sweat a lot but I'm still not 100% sure how I feel about it lol. I may still look into getting ea2 in the future, but right now I don't think anything will compare to dance central for me Smile it's my absolute favorite!
02-08-2011, 03:21 PM

What makes you prefer EA Active Sports 2, if I may ask? Your Shape looks so incredible Big Grin.

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-08-2011, 04:57 PM
(02-08-2011 03:21 PM)Clemens Wrote:  

What makes you prefer EA Active Sports 2, if I may ask? Your Shape looks so incredible Big Grin.

The skeleton scan in YS is amazing but that’s about it, you are always in the same room, in ESEA you are outside (with sound ambiance), you walk/jog/run in a mountain trail.
I have hard time to always be in sync in YS, I am focusing more on this than on exercise. I get so frustrated in Zen, it’s nearly impossible to be in sync. Angry
I found that EASA is more complete compare to YS in which same exercise come often. In YS you have to organize your workout by yourself: do personal training, do mini-games and do fitness program, it take time to decide which one to do, navigating in the menu, but EASA do all this for you, it make you start with warm up exercises and follow up with a mix of exercises: high cardio, slow down, floor exercises, push-up, etc. and end with cool-off/stretching exercises. There are new exercises each time, it’s keeping me motivated. On day 2 I played a soccer mini-game, did mountain biking (you have to run, jump and do squats), and yesterday I did boxing bag. I just did 3 workouts so far. So there is more to come Smile
In ESEA you can add some other activities and it will add those burned calories to your total. I shoveled for 1 hour last week it add 300 burned calories.
The heart monitor is very accurate and useful (for me).
And the price is not a factor anymore, I got ESEA for 60$

I will stop here because i don't want to take too much space on Kendra's thread Blush

[Image: legreffer.jpg]

[Kinect Sports Leaderboards]
02-08-2011, 05:08 PM
Thumbs Up RE: My kinect weight loss journey
(02-08-2011 04:50 AM)Kendrab2315 Wrote:  I figured I should come back on and update! I am down to 159.5 pounds; almost 25 pounds lost in a month and it is really showing. For my almost 25 pound loss present, I joined planet fitness! I am still dancing and walking at least 5 days a week and plan to go to the gym at least 2 days a week.

Another huge accomplishment (not kinect related, but whatever)... I quit smoking cigarettes and now "vape" using an e-cigarette! I really want to be healthy for myself and my kids and just losing weight wasn't going to fully do it! I haven't smoked a cigarette since Jan 31 (one week ago). Woot!

One last little thing- I am ranked 45th on the dance central leaderboards on poker face!!! How cool is that?! Lol    

Wow that is fantastic... I am very proud of you. How are you losing so much weight? Are you dieting? Is it from your Planet Fitness membership? Is it from Kinect and walking? How much are you walking everyday? We need to get together on Dance Central and have a Dance battle for Poker Face... lol Would be a blast. Don't know if I am even on the leaderboards. Never thought to look. Congratulations on the cigarette quitting. I quit in 97 I beleive it was, with a prescription called Nicotrol. It was a thing that looked like a cigarette, but you put a cartridge of nicotine in it. You had the best of both worlds. You still got some nicotine to wean yourself off of, but you also had the psychological with the holding of the cigarette and smoking so forth. I was very happy when I finally quit doing them and was done with smoking. Haven't smoked since. I feel like an alcoholic would, if I ever smoke another one, I would be hooked again. So I don't even attempt it....
I bought Zumba, and tried it out one day. Have had a weekend full of parties, so I have only gotten to play it once. The bellydancing in Zumba is not like Shimmy or anything like that. Zumba is an intense aerobic workout. I know once I get into a routine of doing that and Dance Central and Your Shape, I will start to lose weight. I have only lost 2 pounds. My body sux. My medication prevents me from losing weight, I really have to struggle to lose just 2 pounds... Let me know about the Dance Central thing, I think it would be fun. And of course my questions....
02-08-2011, 07:35 PM
(02-08-2011 05:08 PM)dideroch Wrote:  
(02-08-2011 04:50 AM)Kendrab2315 Wrote:  I figured I should come back on and update! I am down to 159.5 pounds; almost 25 pounds lost in a month and it is really showing. For my almost 25 pound loss present, I joined planet fitness! I am still dancing and walking at least 5 days a week and plan to go to the gym at least 2 days a week.

Wow that is fantastic... I am very proud of you. How are you losing so much weight? Are you dieting? Is it from your Planet Fitness membership? Is it from Kinect and walking? How much are you walking everyday? We need to get together on Dance Central and have a Dance battle for Poker Face... lol Would be a blast. Don't know if I am even on the leaderboards. Never thought to look. Congratulations on the cigarette quitting. I quit in 97 I beleive it was, with a prescription called Nicotrol. It was a thing that looked like a cigarette, but you put a cartridge of nicotine in it. You had the best of both worlds. You still got some nicotine to wean yourself off of, but you also had the psychological with the holding of the cigarette and smoking so forth. I was very happy when I finally quit doing them and was done with smoking. Haven't smoked since. I feel like an alcoholic would, if I ever smoke another one, I would be hooked again. So I don't even attempt it....
I bought Zumba, and tried it out one day. Have had a weekend full of parties, so I have only gotten to play it once. The bellydancing in Zumba is not like Shimmy or anything like that. Zumba is an intense aerobic workout. I know once I get into a routine of doing that and Dance Central and Your Shape, I will start to lose weight. I have only lost 2 pounds. My body sux. My medication prevents me from losing weight, I really have to struggle to lose just 2 pounds... Let me know about the Dance Central thing, I think it would be fun. And of course my questions....

Thanks!! My 25 pounds loss has nothing to do with my gym membership; I just signed up Sunday and went Sunday and Monday, and now plan to go probably Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I am dieting, and usually consume around 1000-1400 calories a day. Sometimes I don't notice it is so low until the end of the day when I am putting my food into my ipod app so I try and eat a bowl of cereal or something. Usually it's right around the 1200 calorie mark, though.

Prior to getting my gym membership, I was dancing everyday until the counter hit 200 calories burned (and when there's the "free style" part in the middle of the song, I would usually do jumping jacks lol). I would also go for a 30ish min walk while chatting on the phone with a friend; it's a 2 mile walk. I am still playing dance central and walking (didn't walk last night because it was pouring), I just really wanted the gym membership to help tone up and to be able to do abdominal exercises without having to do sit ups.

I wish there was a way to do online dance battles on dance central! Right now a friend of mine and I just usually try really hard to beat each others scores. Feel free to send me a request: Junnyjun (it's my husbands account, but if dance central is being played- it's me!)

Congrats on quitting smoking! I also plan on slowly lowering the nicotine mg to get down to 0, but the first step was getting rid of the cigarettes! With the e-cigs you can get flavored "juices" so it tastes NOTHING like a butt (my personal faves are english toffee and smores hahahaha). I'm not setting any timeline up for when I will be done with the e-cig, but it'll happen eventually. I actually enjoy vaping WAY more than smoking!

I'm not sure what medication you are on, but is there another one your doc could put you on that doesn't make it so hard to lose weight? I would definitely ask about it! Good luck and keep going! Take before and after pictures, too! It is crazy being able to compare and see more than just a number on the scale!
02-17-2011, 06:52 PM
(01-25-2011 06:55 PM)Kendrab2315 Wrote:  Hi ninabella!

Good luck on your weight loss journey! I completely understand the cold... I moved to FL from NH after living there forthe first 25 years of my life! Keep up the great work!

I weighed myself today and I am at 164... I've upped my calories by 200-250 a day (I didn't used to eat breakfast and now do... It took some time to get used to cause I've never been a breakfast person) because I feel like I'm losing the weight too fast. My total pounds lost since 01/04 is 19 and as ecstatic as I am- I feel like something is wrong losing that much in less than a month! Even after upping my calories I've been losing a pound a day.

Anyone have any tips? I loooove the weight loss, but is it healthy? I was eating 1200 a day prior to upping it to around 1400-1500.

Hi! Im also from NH and losing weight with the kinect. I used to weigh about 138 and im 16 5'2ft and since playing the kinect i lost about 10 pounds :3 im now 128, but over the weekend i ate alot of takeout and gained 3 pounds back ARG >:O

Anyways ur really inspiring and congrats on all ur weightlose! Big Grin
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
(02-08-2011 07:35 PM)Kendrab2315 Wrote:  
(02-08-2011 05:08 PM)dideroch Wrote:  

Thanks!! My 25 pounds loss has nothing to do with my gym membership; I just signed up Sunday and went Sunday and Monday, and now plan to go probably Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I am dieting, and usually consume around 1000-1400 calories a day. Sometimes I don't notice it is so low until the end of the day when I am putting my food into my ipod app so I try and eat a bowl of cereal or something. Usually it's right around the 1200 calorie mark, though.

Prior to getting my gym membership, I was dancing everyday until the counter hit 200 calories burned (and when there's the "free style" part in the middle of the song, I would usually do jumping jacks lol). I would also go for a 30ish min walk while chatting on the phone with a friend; it's a 2 mile walk. I am still playing dance central and walking (didn't walk last night because it was pouring), I just really wanted the gym membership to help tone up and to be able to do abdominal exercises without having to do sit ups.

I wish there was a way to do online dance battles on dance central! Right now a friend of mine and I just usually try really hard to beat each others scores. Feel free to send me a request: Junnyjun (it's my husbands account, but if dance central is being played- it's me!)

Congrats on quitting smoking! I also plan on slowly lowering the nicotine mg to get down to 0, but the first step was getting rid of the cigarettes! With the e-cigs you can get flavored "juices" so it tastes NOTHING like a butt (my personal faves are english toffee and smores hahahaha). I'm not setting any timeline up for when I will be done with the e-cig, but it'll happen eventually. I actually enjoy vaping WAY more than smoking!

I'm not sure what medication you are on, but is there another one your doc could put you on that doesn't make it so hard to lose weight? I would definitely ask about it! Good luck and keep going! Take before and after pictures, too! It is crazy being able to compare and see more than just a number on the scale!

Hi Kendra,
I have talked to the dr about my meds, and she has only said that I could go see a nutritionist if I would like. I have been to the nutritionist already. Or start weight watchers or something like that. She says to get 30 mins of activity a day, and to keep up on trying to lose weight. She isn't very helpful. It is frustrating. I know that once I can lose about 20 pounds, I will be able to cut down my blood pressure meds, and my cholesterol meds as well, which will help me I think. See I am also in chemo induced menopause. So my hormones are still going crazy, and making it really difficult. The Tamoxifen (which is what I take so that the breast cancer doesn't return) doesn't help either. If I had periods before taking the Tamoxifen, it would have put me in menopause as well. So yeah, kinda got a double whammy going on.
How is your progress going? Did you ever get Zumba? Have you tried the EA Sports Active? I really like that one.
Have a great day....
02-18-2011, 11:19 AM
(02-17-2011 07:13 PM)dideroch Wrote:  Hi Kendra,
I have talked to the dr about my meds, and she has only said that I could go see a nutritionist if I would like. I have been to the nutritionist already. Or start weight watchers or something like that. She says to get 30 mins of activity a day, and to keep up on trying to lose weight. She isn't very helpful. It is frustrating. I know that once I can lose about 20 pounds, I will be able to cut down my blood pressure meds, and my cholesterol meds as well, which will help me I think. See I am also in chemo induced menopause. So my hormones are still going crazy, and making it really difficult. The Tamoxifen (which is what I take so that the breast cancer doesn't return) doesn't help either. If I had periods before taking the Tamoxifen, it would have put me in menopause as well. So yeah, kinda got a double whammy going on.
How is your progress going? Did you ever get Zumba? Have you tried the EA Sports Active? I really like that one.
Have a great day....

hi, can you provide a complete list of your medications?

i know you believe your meds are making it hard to lose weight but the situation is much more complex than that. tamoxifen doesn't have weight gain as an adverse effect. there's been no studies showing that and knowing how the drug works will help make you feel better about it. if anything, you should experience anorexia when on tamoxifen (anorexia (loss of appetite) is not to be mistaken for anorexia nervosa (eating disorder)). and the reason why anorexia can be a side effect for some women is because tamoxifen can cause nausea and vomiting. and when people are nauseous or vomiting, they don't feel like eating.

now, some people do eat to "settle down their stomach" because they're experiencing nausea and vomiting. so maybe (and this is kind of a stretch), this is causing weight gain. but it's usually not.

as you probably know, tamoxifen is a SERM. what that means is that it's a partial agonist. not wanting to go into too much detail of the mechanism, what it means is that in tissues that produce a lot of estrogen such as breast tissue, it will bind to the estrogen receptors and block production of estrogen (estrogen is food for breast cancer). In tissue that don't produce much estrogen (such as bone or endometrium), it will actually stimulate estrogen production (since it's a partial agonist). For this reason, that's why tamoxifen was thought of as beneficial for fighting osteoporosis because it increased bone mineralization due to increased estrogen in the bone. But the problem is it increases estrogen production in the endometrium (which normally doesn't make much estrogen) so women had an increased risk of developing endometrial cancer. the benefit of fighting bone loss is not worth increasing the risk of cancer.

anyway, count yourself lucky that your type of breast cancer was ER/PR positive. not all breast cancer responds to estrogen therapy.

anyway, I'm probably already repeating what your doctor's already told you.

I can break down the other drugs you're taking and explain what they do. It's good practice for me. Tongue

On a lighter note, I have Zumba so if you ever want to play Zumba together, let me know.
02-18-2011, 10:46 PM
Thanks for the breakdown of the Tamoxifen. They never did break that down like that. Kind of like in laymans terms. I am on Levothyroxine, Zocor, Hydrochlorathiazide, and the Tamoxifen.

How would we dance together on Zumba?
02-19-2011, 04:03 AM (This post was last modified: 02-19-2011 04:06 AM by dirtyvu.)
(02-18-2011 10:46 PM)dideroch Wrote:  Thanks for the breakdown of the Tamoxifen. They never did break that down like that. Kind of like in laymans terms. I am on Levothyroxine, Zocor, Hydrochlorathiazide, and the Tamoxifen.

How would we dance together on Zumba?

did they give you levothyroxine because you had low energy level and low metabolism (hypothyroidism)?

zocor is a statin drug. statins are great. the major downsides, if the patient has them, are muscle aches, liver and kidney problems. but they work by inhibiting an enzyme in your body (HMG-CoA reductase) so that your body can't synthesize its own cholesterol. your body needs cholesterol to make things like cell membranes so since the statin drug is blocking the synthesis of cholesterol, your body has to find a way to get cholesterol for your body to survive. so it'll cause your body to make more LDL receptors which sucks in all that bad LDL floating in your blood and because you can't make cholesterol, your VLDL will drop too. so statins are great to reduce the LDL floating in your blood and to reduce high triglycerides. in fact, statins work so well that some people believe that everyone should be taking statins as a preventive measure like wearing seat belts. and with the huge obesity/dietary problems rising in many countries, it may eventually get to that point.

hydrochlorothiazide is a thiazide drug. thiazides do multiple things to reduce blood pressure. one, they relax the muscle around the blood vessel so it dilates. this will reduce your blood pressure. think about how if you squeeze the hose, the garden water shoots out harder and faster (higher pressure). now if you go opposite of that and make the hose wider, the water would just trickle out of it (lower pressure).

thiazides also blocks the reabsorption of salt by your kidneys. and water always chases salt. so if you lose salt from the body (in your urine), you will lose water from the body (by peeing it out). remember that how much blood you have (how much water is in your blood) is a factor in blood pressure. think of it like a dam has a lot of pressure behind it because there's so much water there versus the lower water pressure in a bath tub which has far less water.

this is why they want people to manage their salt intake. because more salt in your body means more water retention which means more blood which means higher blood pressure.

do you have xbox live gold and have you ever played any online games with other people? if you have, zumba online is the same thing. you can either just click on the search option and it'll find a routine or class that you can join. or you can set up your own zumba party/class and have your friends join.

anyway, if you want to play zumba sometime (or any other kinect game for that matter!), let me know. my gamertag is onlysublime.

also, EA Active and The Biggest Loser both have online play so you should exercise with the other people here and that'll keep everyone motivated. I find it's more fun exercising if you can talk to people.
02-22-2011, 11:09 PM
Thanks for all the info, that was very helpful. I will add you as a friend.
03-08-2011, 10:23 AM

Ok, a million kudos for you!!! W.O.W.!!! You must be feeling so incredibly proud, and have every reason to. You've totally given me some motivation to get near your results. I'll take it a little slower then you though. I used to be a weightloss coach (I know, classic example of 'those who can't do, teach') and I was taught that loosing more than 2.5 pounds per week was not that healthy and increases the likelihood of a jojo-effect, which is why I'll eat a bit more than you, but I want to totally follow you in the sports department every step of the way! Thanks for sharing this succes with us.

On de cigarette-subject. Well done for you. I have quit smoking 11 months ago, and it is so hard. I used pills in the end (Champix). I quit the pills after 4 weeks, because they had horrible side-effects, but turned out 4 weeks was all I needed, cause I was totally smoke-free after that. Good luck with putting the e-cigarette behind you as well.

And lastly. Well done on the 45-th rank! My boyfriend wants to get Xbox Live, so I'll be able to compete online as well. Allthough I'm not all in favor of Xbox Live yet. I think it is a rip of you have to pay for it. Internet on Wii en PS3 is free and I think they already make so much money from us with the console, games and extras, so why not just give that feature as a way of thanks for choosing them? But well, I think my BF will take it anyways, so then I might as well enjoy all the extras...

[Image: weight.png]
04-20-2011, 03:40 AM
Oh man have I not been back here in a while. Not only that I've been majorly slacking for almost 2 months (pretty much right after I got my gym membership lol). I got down to 152 and in the past 2 months I gained about 2-3 pounds back with no exercise and no restrictions on what I've ate. Yesterday I got back on track.

Re-starting off at 155, I went to the gym for a little over an hour yesterday, and today walked 3 miles and played my beloved dance central Smile ive missed that game! I also have eaten healthy the last two days as well.

I have two months until my original goal date and 20 pounds to lose. I'm still very proud of myself for how far I've come but owe it to myself and my kiddos to lose the rest. I can't wait to see the 140's then the 130's!!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  RK3's Weight Loss Journey Rapidkirby3k 1 1,149 08-15-2012 03:56 PM
Last Post: Jersmall
Rainbow My weight loss journey... GaelicDream 2 1,230 04-18-2012 03:19 AM
Last Post: GaelicDream
  My Weight Loss (Hopefully Supplemented with Kinect) DogsInTheMitten 12 2,712 02-20-2012 05:15 PM
Last Post: DogsInTheMitten
  I've decided to get serious about losing weight. Pink Panther 9 3,010 02-01-2012 05:50 AM
Last Post: maggscot
Smile Weight Loss Journey with Kinect colta 5 2,631 01-28-2012 02:59 AM
Last Post: colta
Lightbulb Losing Weight the Kinect Way m0st W4nt3d 1 1 1,895 01-25-2012 06:10 PM
Last Post: DogsInTheMitten