/ / v /

RTS game Ruse with Kinect support

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-03-2011, 09:05 PM (This post was last modified: 01-03-2011 09:38 PM by peterng25.)
I guess it won't be long before we see some amazing things coming from the main developers, seeing this is what independents are already doing successfully

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tif-KBZ5Ko?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-tif-KBZ5Ko?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
What's really stunning and exciting (and everything else too, I am almost out of my seat with excitment actually), is that I can follow what he's doing, and by the last half of the clip I knew what to do to play: use the left together with the right hand to select units, fire with the right, move with right, select enemy with right etc...
Evoluce.com seems to be starting the revolution for real, it looks like it won't be long before we can hook up our Kinect to the PC, and play just about any game
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2011, 10:38 PM
RE: RTS game Ruse with Kinect support
Seems kinda cool. I'm just curious why the green light on Kinect is blinking the whole time.

http://twitter.com/#!/hazycloud
Visit this user's websiteFind all posts by this user
01-03-2011, 10:54 PM
That's what happens when you use it on pc.
01-03-2011, 11:50 PM
OK guys... we'll be having a GREAT way to control RTS games with Kinect, it looks very fluent!

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-03-2011, 11:51 PM
(01-03-2011 09:05 PM)peterng25 Wrote:  I guess it won't be long before we see some amazing things coming from the main developers, seeing this is what independents are already doing successfully

What's really stunning and exciting (and everything else too, I am almost out of my seat with excitment actually), is that I can follow what he's doing, and by the last half of the clip I knew what to do to play: use the left together with the right hand to select units, fire with the right, move with right, select enemy with right etc...
Evoluce.com seems to be starting the revolution for real, it looks like it won't be long before we can hook up our Kinect to the PC, and play just about any game

Great find Peter! This is amazing, let's hope that a bit of money and experience from the game developers will bring this to the next level!

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2011, 03:00 AM
(01-03-2011 09:05 PM)peterng25 Wrote:  I guess it won't be long before we see some amazing things coming from the main developers, seeing this is what independents are already doing successfully

The sad thing is that Evoluce is not releasing the code...at least not yet.

There is middleware open-source code released by USC Institute of Creative Technology. If you missed it, these are the guys who demo'd World of Warcraft control using Kinect. Their youtube video has over 1 million hits after only 1 week.

http://people.ict.usc.edu/~suma/faast/videos.html
01-04-2011, 04:39 AM (This post was last modified: 01-04-2011 04:40 AM by Corellianrogue.)
This is weird, especially since Ubisoft are such big supporters of Kinect, because the PS3 version of R.U.S.E. is Move compatible but the Xbox 360 version isn't Kinect compatible! HuhMaybe they'll release a patch since no doubt many Kinect-owning R.U.S.E. players will see this video and probably contact Ubisoft about it. (Not that I'm that bothered though since I'm not into RTS games.)
01-04-2011, 06:01 AM
I think Kinect would be the best way to play an RTS game on a console. There have been so many tries to get an RTS to work without a KBM. But I think KBM is the only way to play them on the PC. RTS games are just too fast to play with a game controller or a motion system. The RUSE demo doesn't have much going on. But when you have multiple things happening on multiple parts of a map, you can't depend on a game controller or a motion system. Some of the RTS games like Halo Wars not only had to invent a way to control the RTS through a game controller, but they also tweaked the gameplay so that it would work better with a game controller. Kind of like how FPS games for game controllers have an autolock mechanism and wider hitbox.

Where Kinect could definitely help an RTS is with the voice commands. Like how EndWar used voice commands.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Any game that you can use your personal Kinect avatar to play in-game? ProjectNatalFan 13 820 01-19-2011 02:23 AM
Last Post: Clemens
  sword fighting game, not onrails and very intuitive! peterng25 9 1,050 01-08-2011 11:51 PM
Last Post: peterng25
Exclamation Best Kinect Hack (For A Game) So Far! Corellianrogue 6 968 12-31-2010 11:51 PM
Last Post: Nick
Wink Game Rentals bbaxter18 13 1,302 11-11-2010 12:08 AM
Last Post: HazyCloud

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)