Xbox Kinect

/ / v /

Sign Language Applications

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-20-2011, 08:40 PM
I was thinking that a Kinect application could be programmed into one that would be able to detect all of the different gestures in sign language and then match them up with a database of words and play the sound as if the individual said it themselves.

Besides resolution issues I don't see this being a complicated task excluding compiling the list of gestures and words/sound files that would be used for it.

What do you think?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-20-2011, 08:50 PM
RE: Sign Language Applications
Definitely possible, very useful as well!

Resolution limitations are rumored to be overcome later this year Smile, so that would allow for this to happen!

[Image: CrackedDiviner.png]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-20-2011, 10:21 PM
Information RE: Sign Language Applications
(01-20-2011 08:50 PM)Clemens Wrote:  Definitely possible, very useful as well!

Resolution limitations are rumored to be overcome later this year Smile, so that would allow for this to happen!

If you're close to Kinect then resolution shouldn't be an issue anyway. Just look at Avatar Kinect, that scans and tracks facial movements. (Although maybe that actually will include the 640X480 sensor update?)
01-22-2011, 03:50 AM
RE: Sign Language Applications
(01-20-2011 08:50 PM)Clemens Wrote:  Definitely possible, very useful as well!

That sounds great! I heard about a resolution increase from Engadget but I don't own it yet so I didn't follow up with them.

I figured I'd put the idea out there so if someone is capable then they could accomplish this themselves or to become a journal when I start working on it.

I may wait for the aforementioned PC edition or just go ahead and buy the 360 edition and start, I'll update you guys once I know. Smile
01-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Information RE: Sign Language Applications
Someone's already started work on one. Maybe you could contact them? Here's their video:

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Order Kinect + Kinect Adventures here!