everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

TV Off Center

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
TV Off Center
01-16-2012, 01:01 AM
TV Off Center
I have my TV hanging on the wall where from the floor to the top of the screen is 5' 9". There is also a light source about 12 ~ 14 inches above the TV. I don't know if this information is important or not but I want the best answer as possible.

If I stand in the center of the room space, the TV is about 10 feet away but about 3 feet to the right.

Will this be a problem if I have the Kinect above the TV or do I need to have it centered with where I am at?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2012, 03:00 AM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2012 03:02 AM by dirtyvu.)
RE: TV Off Center
The Kinect doesn't care where the TV is. All it cares about is where it is and where you are in relation to it.

So if that's the setup you have, I'd set up like this:

[Image: 2428wfm.jpg]

In this setup, you'll be facing the Kinect head on and looking to your TV to the right. A little inconvenient and it may cause your onscreen character to look to the right as well because your head is turned to the TV (but to the Kinect, you're looking away from it).

this is an example of what happens in your setup (a recording I made in a similar scenario that I setup up to do a recording):

Later in the video, I tried to compensate by having my head look at the Kinect while my eyes looked at the TV to know what I was doing. This was only a temporary setup because my recording device is in my office which doesn't quite have enough space like your setup. My normal setup is the Kinect right above the TV, in the middle of the wall.

but note that a lot of Kinect games make you move laterally as well. So in your diagram, you might run into the stairway.

If you could shift the kinect over to this, it would give you the room to move laterally:

[Image: dcf13p.jpg]

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
01-16-2012, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the fast reply and putting a lot of effort into it Smile

Everything that I have read prior to your post basically said that the Kinect has to be above or below the TV - one pictures that I saw shows a RED X when it is sitting at the left corner of the TV Huh

I'm sure that there will lots of minor tweaking going on if/when I do get an Xbox Kinect. Right now it is all about the research for my needs Shy
01-16-2012, 01:46 PM
(01-16-2012 09:41 AM)Longhair Wrote:  Thanks for the fast reply and putting a lot of effort into it Smile

Everything that I have read prior to your post basically said that the Kinect has to be above or below the TV - one pictures that I saw shows a RED X when it is sitting at the left corner of the TV Huh

I'm sure that there will lots of minor tweaking going on if/when I do get an Xbox Kinect. Right now it is all about the research for my needs Shy

when you get your Kinect, you'll know. the Kinect has no idea where the TV is. the reason why it's advised you put it above or below the tv in the middle is because you are looking at the TV and it's much easier to correlate your real world position of your limbs with the virtual you when you are centered in front of the TV.

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
03-09-2012, 11:13 PM
you have to be in the center of the kinect view to be able to play properly.

it doesnt matter where the TV.

I have my TV and kinect on a desk, i rotate the TV with the kinect sensors on its platform thing. it sfree standing on a desk.

I then place a small object under the kinect to tilt it up a bit so its level.