everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

The kinexbox

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The kinexbox
05-16-2011, 04:40 PM
The kinexbox
I had a vision basically xbox and the kinect combined into one. It would be smaller more compact and come with clamps that are adjustable so you can attach it to any TV or lay it on a surface.

a multi disc tray so you can place multiple games and DVDs you like in the trays imagine up to 5 or something. you could be able to access all the games with your voice. maybe have a vertcile tray.

It could have built in wireless to reduce some wires and they could put a good laptop battery in it thats rechargable so you can reduce even more wires or you can do it the good ol style with the power cord.

there could even be a mini projector inside the kinect so you can watch movies HD from netflix or anything on a wall or any surface.

just 100% ideas i randomly had.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2011, 05:19 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2011 05:20 PM by Clemens.)
RE: The kinexbox
It's great you're starting this before E3, because after we may just feel completely different about a whole lot of things Big Grin.

Let me first, before being too much of an ass Tongue, say that I like your ideas!

Here are my concerns with the ideas you raised:
- I feel they would never make Kinect cord-less though (if it's not integrated), because that would add 'lag' to the system as whole. Also, batteries die and create a lot of waste, so I'm not sure MS will go doing that.
- Mini projector (in the back of the Kinect) could be sweet! But expensive? Don't know really.
- Multi-tray disc: in my view this is never going to happen, Microsoft will want to go full downloadable games ASAP as they have the infrastructure (Xbox Live) to support that, also multiple trays will make the Xbox 360 'too big' in the eyes of the customers. I could see game installs going one step further though, in a way that you 'link' the game to your xbox live account and that you are able to play it off your hard-disk as long as you logged into Xbox Live without needing to put in the disc. That would be great, because then the voice control (the one with the numbers you discussed in the other post) become reality Big Grin.

Either way, thanks for sharing your random thoughts, interesting to read them! Any feedback on the concerns I raised?

[Image: CrackedDiviner.jpg]

The most complete Kinect Games List... ever!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-16-2011, 06:17 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2011 06:28 PM by Jersmall.)
(05-16-2011 05:19 PM)Clemens Wrote:  It's great you're starting this before E3, because after we may just feel completely different about a whole lot of things Big Grin.

Let me first, before being too much of an ass Tongue, say that I like your ideas!

Here are my concerns with the ideas you raised:
- I feel they would never make Kinect cord-less though (if it's not integrated), because that would add 'lag' to the system as whole. Also, batteries die and create a lot of waste, so I'm not sure MS will go doing that.
- Mini projector (in the back of the Kinect) could be sweet! But expensive? Don't know really.
- Multi-tray disc: in my view this is never going to happen, Microsoft will want to go full downloadable games ASAP as they have the infrastructure (Xbox Live) to support that, also multiple trays will make the Xbox 360 'too big' in the eyes of the customers. I could see game installs going one step further though, in a way that you 'link' the game to your xbox live account and that you are able to play it off your hard-disk as long as you logged into Xbox Live without needing to put in the disc. That would be great, because then the voice control (the one with the numbers you discussed in the other post) become reality Big Grin.

Either way, thanks for sharing your random thoughts, interesting to read them! Any feedback on the concerns I raised?

Yeah there are many games that i have like one of my favorites battlefield 1943 or magics the gathering. as long as i am signed in i can play them instantly in quick launch. If microsoft wanted to reduce waste they could put more games for sale even new releases on xbox marketplace. so people can buy points at the store or online. CDs are old technology and its plastic. We are also talking about mcirosoft here i cant see how putting batteries in laptops are any different then in a "kinexbox".

As for multiple discs its really old technology from CD palyers. ive seen some trays where its basically just put slots or just put one slot and inside the tray would go up or down. further more they could offer mobile networks to use them anywhere. this could be a replacement for the income somehow.
[Image: bose-wave-music-system-multi-cd-changer.jpg]

as for the mini project there is some that exist already like the pocket projector. with todays technology again projectors are getting smaller as well. the projector itself could be moveable so your kinect is pointing at you while it displays the game on the wall or any surface behind it.

[Image: Optoma-PICO-PK-101-Palm-Sized-Pocket-Projector-2.jpg]

Over all though i blieve like everything else they will start to shrink things down. I was thinking even if you go with a battery like a powerfull mac one (lol) you could use wireless charging like the new cell phones.

even if for some reason you want to use it camping or anything that you are off the grid. you could use USB(or add something else) solar panel attachment. this would charge the battery when you are not playing or working out and you could make a grid of panels if you buy more.

other features like being able to record your game while it records you playing it in the corner of the screen. letting the solar panel attachments have other slots to plug things like lights or charge your cell phone/ipod.

portable, wireless, wireless charging, mobile networked, no more disc green solar panel using Kinexbox !! Big Grin
05-16-2011, 08:23 PM
a bunch of interesting ideas but they don't go well together.

if you integrate the kinect into the xbox, it makes placement of the xbox really limited. even a PS2 Slim would be hard to mount at different positions, especially if you have a huge TV or entertainment center. so the Xbox would have to be at least as small as a PS2 Slim which is impossible. that's the reason why they put a mechanical tilt mechanism for the kinect so that you didn't have to be too creative to make it work.

as for a multidisc system, those units are huge. So now you have to worry about putting a huge Xbox at specific positions so that the Kinect had a good view.

and then you add a projector which would make the necessary room needed even larger. a nice short throw projector is $200+. plus, projectors throw off a lot of heat which is bad for the Xbox or the Kinect (since the Kinect depends on a stable temperature to produce its grid and is why it has fans and heatsinks). Also, decent projectors are huge by themselves. the little projectors throw off a very small or dim picture and are usually below HD.

So you add all these into 1 box, well, that's 1 huge box.

a battery would not be that useful. if you make it external like a laptop, it makes the Xbox even bigger. and you can't make it internal because of heat concerns for the battery. it'd be better to have a UPS in that case. or have a portable Xbox laptop type system a la Ben Heck.

adding PVR functionality to the record gameplay isn't feasible because you would need to have simultaneous access to the hard drive between gaming and the PVR functionality, taking up I/O bandwidth that'd be better off not split up. Plus, unless you have custom ICs, that would mean you have to do it in software with the CPU, taking away cycles that gaming needs. The 360 is already being pushed hard just playing games.

In fact, the 360 and PS3 are kind of holding back the new era of games that could be possible with PC hardware which has surpassed the consoles (gigabytes of RAM, superior GPU and CPU, etc.). Right now, PC games are just higher res console games. All the bells and whistles that AMD/ATI and Nvidia put into their newer cards are going to waste.

But ideas help spawn other ideas so all ideas have their place. Kudos for brainstorming!

[Image: onlysublime.png]
05-17-2011, 04:36 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2011 04:38 AM by Jersmall.)
personally i would get one, i have a normal tv and either way ide use the projector on it instead of a TV Big Grin. with a mobile network on it too would be amazing and having it wireless so i can move it around great for a party. Big Grin

technologie is getting small too like paper thin smart phone that really works. http://uniquedaily.com/2011/05/world%E2%...-computer/

I know its not possible yet but just dreaming what ide like. Big Grin
05-18-2011, 02:21 AM
As someone who designs hardware and software, I say to show how (while cool these ideas are) unfeasible these ideas are based on size alone is to attempt to draw the thing with all the features in it.

As soon as you said Multi-Disk, I knew there is no way it can be smaller than the 360-Slim.
05-18-2011, 05:15 AM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2011 05:16 AM by Jersmall.)
well you could ditch multi disc for being able to install games to the harddrive and as long as you are signed in you can play them. Big Grin

discs are outdated if you asked me! the should use the market place to sell games like app store, for those with a xbox live.