everything KINECT in one place!

/ / v /

Tracking issues

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Tracking issues
10-22-2011, 12:43 PM
Tracking issues
Hi, I've had my kinect since release and over time I've noticed that is has real problems tracking the legs of my children (age 4 and 6). In particular any games were it alternate turns between an adult and a child it gets completely confused with height. Is this experience unique to me? I have run the kinect tuner on multiple occasions but it doesn't help much.

The recent demo of kinect sports 2 really struggled to track my 4 year old daughter on the golf. Could it be broken or possibly the light in the room (we have a dimmer so I guess it can vary). Any help appreciated?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-22-2011, 04:22 PM
RE: Tracking issues
(10-22-2011 12:43 PM)Mclmar Wrote:  Hi, I've had my kinect since release and over time I've noticed that is has real problems tracking the legs of my children (age 4 and 6). In particular any games were it alternate turns between an adult and a child it gets completely confused with height. Is this experience unique to me? I have run the kinect tuner on multiple occasions but it doesn't help much.

The recent demo of kinect sports 2 really struggled to track my 4 year old daughter on the golf. Could it be broken or possibly the light in the room (we have a dimmer so I guess it can vary). Any help appreciated?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/40097124/ns/...qLedt5KOTM

Kinect and your kids: What works, what won't
Xbox's motion-control system has a height minimum, but we've got tips for better kid play

excerpts only (read the whole article for complete details):
"When I spoke to Josh Hutto, on the Xbox Kinect team, he explained that there is a recommended height minimum of 40 inches, corresponding roughly to kids 4 and a half years old and up."

"For starters, you should mount the Kinect camera box above your TV, as high as 6 feet if possible. Since game play has to happen 6 to 8 feet from the camera, raising it up closes the distance required between the TV and the players. At the same time, it makes it easier for the camera to track people of different heights, since it is looking down, and not across.
This is also a good tip for people who find their quarters a little too cramped for Kinect. Even an average sized living room like mine could benefit from the tighter camera space, and for city dwellers, it's a must."

"Once you've got the Kinect up in place, run the Kinect Tuner with your kid(s) in the play space, and within that tool, manually adjust the camera to tilt down a bit. Don't just tilt the camera down by hand, because the system will just compensate by angling back up.

Mind you, since you basically tweaked it for the smallest members of the household, you may need to re-tune it when the kids go to bed, and the grown-ups queue up to make fools of themselves.

It's important to demarcate the play area somehow. The best advice I've heard is to set a yoga mat or some other floor mat down in the Kinect sweet spot. Everyone can get carried away playing Kinect, but kids especially get over excited and tend to lunge towards the TV, which not only screws up the tracking, but is a tad bit dangerous too. One dad I talked to set out a line of shoes, telling his son not to cross it.
Hutto had one other tip for kids and Kinect: clear enough play space in front and back, and to each side as well, so that everyone stays safe during playtime."

[Image: onlysublime.jpg]
10-22-2011, 05:39 PM
Question RE: Tracking issues
Have your children got their own Gamertags? If so you can run Kinect ID on both of them (each separately, if you haven't done so already) so that it recognises them and should autocalibrate better during games.
10-23-2011, 11:26 AM
Thanks for the advice. Manually adjusting the camera looks to have helped a bit, especially with my 6 year old son. It's better with my 4 year old daughter but she is under 40" which there isn't much I can do about this.

Thanks again.
10-23-2011, 04:44 PM
(10-23-2011 11:26 AM)Mclmar Wrote:  Thanks for the advice. Manually adjusting the camera looks to have helped a bit, especially with my 6 year old son. It's better with my 4 year old daughter but she is under 40" which there isn't much I can do about this.

Thanks again.

just dont force the kinect to bend down or up a small motor powers it, you dont want to strip some gears.

i constantly change my kinects possition i havent done tunning since i got it. its pretty user friendly when it comes to tracking.
10-23-2011, 06:25 PM
Question RE: Tracking issues
(10-23-2011 11:26 AM)Mclmar Wrote:  Thanks for the advice. Manually adjusting the camera looks to have helped a bit, especially with my 6 year old son. It's better with my 4 year old daughter but she is under 40" which there isn't much I can do about this.

Thanks again.

Hopefully you mean manually as in the option in Kinect Tuner that lets you manually move it with the joypad? Because as Jersmall said, you'e not supposed to physically move Kinect's sensor bar up and down with your hands.
11-20-2011, 02:41 AM
A yoga mat is also good for the feets. When I used my dance mat my feet hurted a lot so now I always have a yoga mat under when I play games.
11-21-2011, 08:46 PM
(11-20-2011 02:41 AM)cazz2 Wrote:  A yoga mat is also good for the feets. When I used my dance mat my feet hurted a lot so now I always have a yoga mat under when I play games.

I usually only play kinect bare foot. I have floating floors and if i wear socks i lose so much grip. mostly playing boxing you need to twist your body alot.

nothing beats bare foot!
11-21-2011, 10:25 PM
Information RE: Tracking issues
I'm getting this once I've cleared up the room:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTA-Digital-Gami...B0058GNK30

I'm pretty sure the mat should be 6ft away from Kinect not 4ft for the perfect range though.
11-21-2011, 11:33 PM
(11-21-2011 10:25 PM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  I'm getting this once I've cleared up the room:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTA-Digital-Gami...B0058GNK30

I'm pretty sure the mat should be 6ft away from Kinect not 4ft for the perfect range though.

What i find funny about this mat is that just beacause you have a matt doesnt mean its in the right range. It doesn't really help focus the kinect you have to placethe matt in the right possition yourself.... Ironically that means you acutally already know the range and right possition.

I would just find it annoying, mostly if you move your kinect, you need to take that thing everywhere. if anything ide put a peice of colored tape on the floor defining the center for each player.

I move my TV and kinect all the time. The way i set up my camera before I play kinect sports is with the on screen square at the start of the game. I stand in the middle of my space and see if its in the middle on the game, its really fast and easy.

once me and my avatar on screen are in the midle its perfectly synced.
11-22-2011, 12:09 AM
I thought it would be helpful for games like Rise Of Nightmares so you can keep centred easier, plus you could move it into the position of the green play area they show in games and I think that might put it in the perfect place.
11-22-2011, 04:45 PM
(11-22-2011 12:09 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  I thought it would be helpful for games like Rise Of Nightmares so you can keep centred easier, plus you could move it into the position of the green play area they show in games and I think that might put it in the perfect place.

again the mat dosn't really help you be centered its up to you centering the kinect on the mat. Its not like the center will change spot of you dont move the kinect. so i dont see why people really need this.

everyone ive played with haven't had any problems standing infront of the kinect. its more common sence then anything.

in my opinion this mat is a waste of money and simply in the way. if i REALLY needed to mark the exact center ide use a small peice of tape that i can easly take off.
11-22-2011, 08:45 PM
(11-21-2011 08:46 PM)Jersmall Wrote:  
(11-20-2011 02:41 AM)cazz2 Wrote:  A yoga mat is also good for the feets. When I used my dance mat my feet hurted a lot so now I always have a yoga mat under when I play games.

I usually only play kinect bare foot. I have floating floors and if i wear socks i lose so much grip. mostly playing boxing you need to twist your body alot.

nothing beats bare foot!

Wow barefoot is impressing. When I do twist and turns barefoot I get burned from the floor. I have wooden flor after playing for a yaer or so my feet started hurting untill I changed to the yoga mat. That are 4 puzzle pieces.
11-22-2011, 09:02 PM
(11-22-2011 08:45 PM)cazz2 Wrote:  
(11-21-2011 08:46 PM)Jersmall Wrote:  

nothing beats bare foot!

Wow barefoot is impressing. When I do twist and turns barefoot I get burned from the floor. I have wooden flor after playing for a yaer or so my feet started hurting untill I changed to the yoga mat. That are 4 puzzle pieces.

I happen to do karate kyokushin and we always use bare feet in training. I agree though it hurts when you lose layers of skin when you dont have built up calluses.
11-22-2011, 09:02 PM
(11-22-2011 04:45 PM)Jersmall Wrote:  
(11-22-2011 12:09 AM)Corellianrogue Wrote:  I thought it would be helpful for games like Rise Of Nightmares so you can keep centred easier, plus you could move it into the position of the green play area they show in games and I think that might put it in the perfect place.

again the mat dosn't really help you be centered its up to you centering the kinect on the mat. Its not like the center will change spot of you dont move the kinect. so i dont see why people really need this.

everyone ive played with haven't had any problems standing infront of the kinect. its more common sence then anything.

in my opinion this mat is a waste of money and simply in the way. if i REALLY needed to mark the exact center ide use a small peice of tape that i can easly take off.

I suppose. I guess I'm just talking for me personally. Maybe I'll try using tape on the floor first, lol! It should help people who want to reduce noise while they're playing though I think.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Kinect Hand Tracking Orientation foreverflash 4 1,656 06-22-2011 06:22 PM
Last Post: amillermba
  Kinect Tuner: Tracking and Audio legreffer 2 4,897 02-16-2011 07:36 PM
Last Post: UndgnfiedWrshpr
  Kinect Sports-disconnected issues!! meistroracer 3 2,307 01-31-2011 11:37 PM
Last Post: meistroracer
  Control issues with sonic free riders? try this... [Video] King Backslap 4 2,614 11-11-2010 07:06 PM
Last Post: praise